Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks. This is likely buried somewhere in the archives of the bb, but thus far my searching has come up unsuccessful. I am looking at moving from a generator with external voltage regulator to an alternator with a built in regulator. I've seen references to alternators used in later spiders but can't tell if this is a direct bolt in, or if some adapter brackets are required or something. I've also looked at the more extreme end of the scale at the Alfaholics lightweight 50A alternators, but this seems the most spendy approach. Does anybody have any clear direction on this they could provide me? Also, any specifics on the wiring revisions?

Thanks in advance. Tom

·
Super Moderator
10,586 Posts
I've seen references to alternators used in later spiders but can't tell if this is a direct bolt in, or if some adapter brackets are required or something.
The alternator used on late spiders and Milanos is your simplest, bolt-on conversion. You may need an adjusting bracket intended for an alternator (that long flat bar with the elongated hole you use to set the fan belt tension). The one from your generator may be too short.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Perfect, thanks Alfajay.

Say, I saw in another post of yours that you are also into old BMW's. What models exactly? My other "old" car is a '73 2002 that i've revived over the last ten years or so. Great little cars.

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,471 Posts
Get one for a late spider, 90 amp and internal reg. Been on my gtv for several years now and works great.

·
Premium Member
13,987 Posts
Suzuki Swift/Geo Metro with the G10/G13 engines is a popular choice for a small alternator. minor mounting modifications required.
I am intrigued by this. Is this alternator lighter and/or smaller, or have some other advantage? My Spider has no radio and is rarely driven at night or in the rain so the power requirement is just the ignition system and fuel pump most of the time.

·
Super Moderator
10,586 Posts
I am intrigued by this. Is this alternator lighter and/or smaller, or have some other advantage? My Spider has no radio and is rarely driven at night or in the rain so the power requirement is just the ignition system and fuel pump most of the time.
Yea, those mini alternators are lighter and smaller. However, Trich's original question was about an alternator that would bolt on - you'll need some spacers to make a mini alternator fit an Alfa. Not a huge job, but not a bolt-on either. And be sure to order one with a V-belt pulley - not a flat/ribbed belt.

The really cheap versions don't have a provision for a charging light, but the more expensive models do.

The minis don't put out a lot of current, but if your Alfa just has basic electrical needs, it will be enough.

Here's a couple of shots of the mini in my Giulia spider. The diameter of a Bosch alternator is too big for it to fit into a 750/101, so you need to use one of these minis. Fitting a mini into a 105/115 Alfa would require the same spacers but you have more space around the alternator.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,987 Posts
Hi Jay,
That's cool. Do you have the model number of yours?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Very neat, Jay.

Here's a twist - i gather a major criticism of dynamos is the lack of good or consistent charge rate at idling revs. I read of a simple fix in a UK mag - install a slightly smaller pulley.

Seems obvious, really - I wonder if there are any disadvantages...

·
Premium Member
13,987 Posts
Seems obvious, really - I wonder if there are any disadvantages...
My situation is a little different but I have a smaller pulley on the crankshaft to slow down the alternator and the water pump. Alternator reliability appears to me to be related to rpm. Two friends have had alternator failures on their race cars while I have been crewing for them. Most rotating machinery is less reliable at high speed.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
I don't know much about the early generator cars - are they bolt on swaps for the 45a externally regulated alternators used on SPICA cars? If so, I can confirm that the Bosch AL16X 85a (used on later alfas, internally regulated) is in turn a bolt on swap. I got a stunningly nice looking rebuilt one from BNR parts who get stellar reviews on this forum and elsewhere. Even the pulley (not included in most rebuilt alternators) was re-plated!

Alfa Romeo Bosch Alternator High Output 85 Amp 1967 80 Generator | eBay

·
Super Moderator
10,586 Posts
I don't know much about the early generator cars - are they bolt on swaps for the 45a externally regulated alternators used on SPICA cars?
Alfajay said:
The diameter of a Bosch alternator is too big for it to fit into a 750/101, so you need to use one of these minis.
As I wrote in post #10, you can't fit a Bosch alternator into a 750/101 - the steering box is too close to the engine. So it depends on what you mean by "the early generator cars" - an internally-regulated Bosch will fit a 105 just fine, but not a 750/101.

alfaparticle said:
That's cool. Do you have the model number of yours?
See post #10 in the thread at: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/giulietta-giulia-1954-65/38523-installing-alternator-750-101-a.html#post331405, but I wouldn't recommend getting the exact make/model of mini alternator that I bought - mine turned out to be a "cheapie" that has a terminal for the warning light, but it doesn't function. Someone on the BB explained that the inexpensive alternators (typically made in China) are like that, while the premium models (typically made by Japanese companies) will support the warning light. I'd spend the extra $20 to get a working charging light.

One good feature of my alternator is the location of the output lug (the connection that goes to the battery). It is on the top of the unit (see the second photo I posted). I have seen other models with that lug situated so it points toward the engine. Dunno if that would fit, or if there would be a chance of shorting out the battery "+" connection when adjusting the belt.

Many online suppliers, including ebay offer versions on these mini alternators. Sorry that I can't tell you the ones that support charging lights.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I concur on the post location, look for one in back or on top away from the engine
I just sent one back that was in the wrong position
Master Alfa guru Tom Sahines was in the office and helped with that.
I just ordered one off Amazon if this helps

http://www.amazon.com/CHEVY-ALTERNATOR-DENSO-STREET-1-WIRE/dp/B00VB4GWGA?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00
this is a single wire, but have seen others on ebay and amazon with the idiot light plug

Am curious as to what belt you are using as there is minimal room for adjusting once installed
does the stock one work?

Peter

1 - 16 of 16 Posts