Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow alfa enthusiasts. I am new to alfas but the alfa bug has bitten me and I'm looking for an Alfa Romeo to purchase and use pretty much daily as I believe that a car deserves to be driven. I just want to drive it more than people with their sanity. :) Mainly, I am looking at the classy and classic 105/115 series coupes. (1300,1600/1750/2000/etc.) Anyways, I am curious as to which engine, model year, etc, anything, would be best for use as a daily driver. Which engine size is best fro the balance of reliability and power. Anything at all. Something that does not require constant repairs.
(Don't worry though, I am not the kind of person who doesn't like getting their hands dirty. (I have a Land Rover Defender as my other driver))
Any advice is appreciated!

·
Administrator
16,985 Posts
Welcome. Where are you located? That would affect what models are available to you.

In the USA I'd suggest a Series 3 or Series 4 Spider. They have EFI and are generally reliable if well maintained. Or a Milano or 164 if you want a steel roof and four doors. Alfa left the USA in 1994 so there are a lot of later models we know little about.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I'm going to say Milano/75 because I've been doing it for 17 years.
Adequate power and torquey ( good in traffic) AC and four doors. Left me stranded only once (broken clutch pivot).

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
105 coupes are on fire. A great alternative is a 105 sedan. A Berlina will give you almost as much fun as a Giulia for much less. Just buy the best one you can afford...

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Which engine would you recommend?
IMO, the 1750 (actually 1779 cc) is perhaps the best engine. Both of my Berlinas were 1969 but both had a 2L transplants by previous owners. The 2L will give more torque and hence daily drive ability but the 1750 I currently have in my Spider is revvier and more fun in the twisties.

Whereabouts are you?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
IMO, the 1750 (actually 1779 cc) is perhaps the best engine. Both of my Berlinas were 1969 but both had a 2L transplants by previous owners. The 2L will give more torque and hence daily drive ability but the 1750 I currently have in my Spider is revvier and more fun in the twisties.

Whereabouts are you?
Sunny and humid Florida. Sinc eewe have less twisties, I'm thinking more 2L. Any advice for shocks?

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Sunny and humid Florida. Sinc eewe have less twisties, I'm thinking more 2L. Any advice for shocks?
For daily driving go with Koni red. To really enjoy that 2L, look into swapping in a Euro cam. If you are going to get serious about your mechanical, I would recommend reaching out to Richard Jemison (Alfar7). Talk to him about cams and the lightened flywheel/springless clutch combo. It will transform your car tremendously.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts