Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ready to apply the scripts / badges on my 94 S4. The backside has no backing at all. What would be the best adhesive and technique to use so it looks professional without any glue showing once applied?
Thanks In Advance,
Chuck

Chuck

·
Premium Member
3,815 Posts
3M double sided tape, automotive grade.

Good luck.

Vin

·
Premium Member
5,874 Posts
And a really good X-Acto knife and a lot of blades.

Reactions: pantera928

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for that (y). I had visions of messy glue oozing out from the sides and looking like ____ :oops:

·
Registered
'84 Spider Veloce
567 Posts
Look at everything five times before any glue or permanent tape is used. A couple months ago I glued a one-piece spider veloce badge on my fender, then (too late) noticed the thing was kinked - the spider part is dead level, but the veloce script runs slightly uphill. The metal badge itself was bent.

Your Alfa Romeo badge looks kinked, too, at least in your picture.

Temporarily tape the badge on, then walk 15 feet away and look again. Still straight? Put index marks on the fender for each end of the badge, so you can't miss. Measure again . . . . .

Double-sided tape requires a lot of patience and trimming, but you can peel off mistakes with dental floss or fishline.

I used 3M badge adhesive applied with a toothpick to the back of the badge, and had no oozing excess, but the glue's a one-chance method.

David OD
Laguna CA

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Look at everything five times before any glue or permanent tape is used. A couple months ago I glued a one-piece spider veloce badge on my fender, then (too late) noticed the thing was kinked - the spider part is dead level, but the veloce script runs slightly uphill. The metal badge itself was bent.

Your Alfa Romeo badge looks kinked, too, at least in your picture.

Temporarily tape the badge on, then walk 15 feet away and look again. Still straight? Put index marks on the fender for each end of the badge, so you can't miss. Measure again . . . . .

Double-sided tape requires a lot of patience and trimming, but you can peel off mistakes with dental floss or fishline.

I used 3M badge adhesive applied with a toothpick to the back of the badge, and had no oozing excess, but the glue's a one-chance method.

David OD
Laguna CA
David-Thanks for the tips. I went ahead and purchased some 3M double sided tape from Amazon. And your correct about the Alfa badge it's kinked with no way to straighten it's plastic. Maybe once the tape is applied I can try to bend it into place without breaking it.
Chuck

·
Registered
9,402 Posts
the one thing they don't show in the video is whether it sticks well!
I'd have liked to see him try to (gently...he doesn't have to run it through a car wash just yet....though that will have to hold up too!) pull the "6" off, after the specified drying time.
;)

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Double sided tape is going be very time consuming. 3M Press In Place is the best stuff for this kind of emblems.

Watch this video and you'll see how easy it is to use.

Never heard of this. I will give it a try if I can find it.

·
--ADMINISTRATOR--chiuso per ferie
13,371 Posts
the one thing they don't show in the video is whether it sticks well!
I'd have liked to see him try to (gently...he doesn't have to run it through a car wash just yet....though that will have to hold up too!) pull the "6" off, after the specified drying time.
;)

Dom, my neighbor used this stuff on an emblem for his Honda Goldwing. It's been holding strong for several years.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Dom, my neighbor used this stuff on an emblem for his Honda Goldwing. It's been holding strong for several years.
Could not find it locally so just ordered it from Amazon. It will be here Friday and I will post my opinion this weekend

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
1 - 20 of 37 Posts