Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a repost, so the moderator can delite it from the other forum if he want..

Hi

Im Thomas from Oslo, Norway, and this is the story of my car. I bought a 1970 GT1300 Junior, with a 1750 engine almost 3 years ago. I bought it unseen, just some pictures of the internett, but the price was right so I just took it:)
I`ll be the first to admit that that`s probably not the smartest thing I`ve done:rolleyes:

It was quite apparent that the car had a major rust problem as soon as I saw it on the docks. It was driveable but just barely, and I started to look for someone to weld it for me right away. Sure enough I found a gye willing to do the job, and delivered the car to him shortly after I had gotten it. Weeks turned into months pretty fast, and from beeing stocked about getting the car back on the road it amost ended in disbelief when the gye stopped picking up the phone. 1 year after it was delivered to him I picked it up again, no work done to it at all, and the car looked even worse after an artic winter.

To make a long story short I have finaly gotten some help from one of my old friends. We have known eachother for over 20 years, but just reasently realiced that we have a love for cars in common. Turns out he has been importing and building cars for years, via Racebreed Import, and he sold his latest project a Nissan Skyline with 750hp late summer 2010. He told me that he needed a project to do work on this winter, and agreed to help me with everything without pay... Deal of the year!:D:D

The following pictures and story are from october 2010 up until today, and I will continue to update this project with pictures until the car is back on the road.

the first days for the teardown:

Just a cuple of snapshots of what will follow in this tread:

Please give me some feedback ;) the project is still ongoing, and since this is my first Alfabuild I will be most gratefull for all smart ideas!!

Tnx

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Please give me some feedback ;) the project is still ongoing, and since this is my first Alfabuild I will be most gratefull for all smart ideas!!

Tnx
Looks great! A small item, but the two rear valve cover nut washers should be aluminum, and not phenolic, in order to properly ground the cover with the rest of the engine block.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Looks great! A small item, but the two rear valve cover nut washers should be aluminum, and not phenolic, in order to properly ground the cover with the rest of the engine block.
Interesting... I just replaced the washers on my valve cover and received 6 phenolic ones with the gasket kit. I threw out the 2 aluminum that were on there figuring they were a PO mistake. Is it really necessary to use them? I can't remember - what grounds to the valve cover?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah, ok? This is the ones that where there, they have not been changed. Its only come of and been cleaned up while the nust got polished :)

I`m going to relocate the battery to the back of the car, so the plan was to make a propper 6 way engine and gearbox groundkit anyway, but I will see to that the topend gets propaly grounded then if this is a potensial problem :)

Tnx

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like an excellent friend!

You're doing a great job! Though I prefer them in their stock form, it looks like you've rescued this one from the brink.
Tnx Brad

The intention was never to build it back to stock anyway, dough I like them stock aswell :) This has become a project where we look for different solutions where ever we can, and the engine bay will get a lot of work.

some more pictures: weber work, waterchannel, dyno and oilassembly:

The dyno was taken apart completly and its internals checked before this started:

Oil:

Pictures of the complete engine and exhaust coming soon :)

Nilzen

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
some more pictures then:

orlginal brakes are not good enough for the use the car will be facing

so they have to go

New ones go in, 2 way Tilton

And new disks

Some more parts have been finished the last week

the original radiator set up

Cant understand why the factory paint theese radiators black when you see whats under the paint

polished, painted and el-fan , new radiator hoses getting there

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
that looks faaaaaaantastic. More pics please!

Was that done by merely polishign the top housing and if so with what tools/paste ?

wow. great work!

·
Administrator
13,288 Posts
I've never seen anybody paint an Alfa Nord engine black before ... but I can't fault the quality of work.

I personally hate radiators done like that, but that is a very personal thing. I simply think Model T Ford ...
Pete

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
that looks faaaaaaantastic. More pics please!

Was that done by merely polishign the top housing and if so with what tools/paste ?

wow. great work!
Tnx :9 I started out with paintstripper, folowed up with sandingpaper, 120, 240, 400, 800 and then cloth 2000, and finished of with metalpolish. A lot of hours, but I think well worth it.

As Pete says its a persomal thing, some like it some dont. But we think it looks good with the rest of the details on this engine :)

some more pictures then:

got a nasty surprise in the enginebay, left front wing with really bad repairwork

so we cut everything out

and started over, rebuilding the angle on the guardrail as we went

not a perfect job, but it will do

Since we will use the car for trackdays, we went on building a rollcage for the car after seeing the thicknes of the B-pillars :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
then its time for fuel, brake, waterlines and oilcatchtank. We have been thinking long and hard about this, but ended up with this. We have done so much untrad so far, so we might just keep it coming :)

we are waiting for the rest of the AN parts, and they should be in tomorrow to finish this of.. More pictures will follow.

Today the diff and gearbox will be opened, fingers crossed:) we do have some nasty oilleaks, but as far as we can tell neither have ever been opened, so we hope its only a matter of old seals :)

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Great work for a race car - keep if off those tire walls!

Did the Tilton setup come as an off the shelf kit (backing plate included) or did the backing plate get fabricated by your guy ? How does it mate up with the pedals setup inside the car ? any additonal levers or work required ?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great work for a race car - keep if off those tire walls!

Did the Tilton setup come as an off the shelf kit (backing plate included) or did the backing plate get fabricated by your guy ? How does it mate up with the pedals setup inside the car ? any additonal levers or work required ?
tnx, will do :)

The Tilton setup came as a complete kit, and just small adjustments of the backing plate was needed. the pedals end up slightly longer in to the car than the standard ones, but since we are going to rebuild the original gasspedal to work with a wire, we simply move this further back aswell..

N

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
it was time to face our fears and open the gearbox..

It was leaking oil all over, and the rear section of it was only holding on with 3 nuts I nearly loosend with my fingers.

First leak, 40 year old sim-ring

motorsportbushing

We are really happy with the state of this! No bearing need to be changed and there are no marks at all :D

Just to put it back together again then :)

Diff ready for paint

T-bar done

first axle done

A better view of the welding we did

Last hoses and fittings came today, thanks to fittingsofnorway :)

Oh, and we got the dashboard back yesterday from flocking!!

more updates tomorrow since the hole garage is full of parts drying after paint :) ;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ill throw in a few new pictures since the project have been at a standstill for a while now. We do begin to see some progress theese days dough:

There is a lot of referbished parts going on:

we have completed the brakes, with the Tilton setup, new lines, disks and pads. We also have new bushings, springs and dampers all round:

The sensors for the enginemanagement are made and on:

more updates soon, since things are shaping up at the moment :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
What type of donut is that, with a steel ring around the outside? I haven't seen those before... I've seen a fair few that I've torn however :p

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What type of donut is that, with a steel ring around the outside? I haven't seen those before... I've seen a fair few that I've torn however :p
Its a motorsport donut with a steel ring around it:) The outer layer is to prevent parts flying around when it breaks ;) and it will do :) hehe. Dont remember where I ordered it at the moment, but I can figure it out for you if u like?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts