Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does someone know the minimum wheel offset to avoid rubbing on the rear fender well for tire size = 185 70R14?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
You can also use 15x6 Panasport 22mm offset, with 195/55/15 tires on a lowered Berlina will also work, even on the back.

Giorgio

·
Registered
439 Posts
Just Did This!!!

Minimum offset is 30mm, and 35mm is better. With some tires, on severe compression with 30mm, you may have slightest of rubbing on the inside, vertical wall of your inner fender.

185/70R14 is as much as you need for most applications. It works quite well with stock suspension, and really enhances a sporterized suspension.

I'm running Bilstein shocks, IAP performance springs, a stock front sway bar, and a stock rear sway bar from a GT... which required my adding mounting points on the body... and getting the entire bolt set up for the trailing arms. I replaced bushings throughout, and stayed with the rubber ones, rather than the firmer poly ones.

Lovely set up for the street.

AND, if you haven't purchased your tires yet, chase down a set of Vredestein Hi-Tracs in 185/70R14... they're H rated, and really offer great feedback, and with their sidewall construction, make for a very compliant and comfortable ride... consistent overall performance winners in their category in UK tests the last 3 years. Great, great tires.

·
Registered
439 Posts
185/70R14 and 30mm Offset

Here's photos of my Nuova Super and 30mm offset AU superlites. Note the springs haven't lowered the car for its street uses. In the rear, the Vredestein Hi-Tracs fill up the wheel well from inside to outside pretty well. There isn't much room for more tire... and really, there's absolutely no need.

Oh, and you might notice, this is a directional tire, and when I first mounted it, I looked at the arrow... but on the front, right it was confusing, as you have to instead look at the direction of the grooves. I had to swap the fronts and get the groove direction right. But for looks, the photo at least gives you the impression.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Ish-Man,

If you are talking about red springs from IAP, those are specifically for GTV and Spider. Berlina's are heavier on the rear so therefore you will need different springs. I am little surprised and curious how those springs are working.
Alfa Ricambi is The only place that have them. You will find Berlina springs that are specifically made for the car.
The best set up will be Red Koni's all around adjustments, 30% front & 10% rear, with AR springs.
I had Bilstein on my Berlina and did not like the setup, little harsh.
Again I might be wrong, but that's what everyone suggested including IAP, Centerline.
That's what I have on my car with 15x6 Panasport 195/55/15 tires.

Giorgio

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
I've got a set of new spacers if anyone need to change offset.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Could be mistaken

Ish-Man,

If you are talking about red springs from IAP, those are specifically for GTV and Spider. Berlina's are heavier on the rear so therefore you will need different springs. I am little surprised and curious how those springs are working.
Alfa Ricambi is The only place that have them. You will find Berlina springs that are specifically made for the car.
The best set up will be Red Koni's all around adjustments, 30% front & 10% rear, with AR springs.
I had Bilstein on my Berlina and did not like the setup, little harsh.
Again I might be wrong, but that's what everyone suggested including IAP, Centerline.
That's what I have on my car with 15x6 Panasport 195/55/15 tires.

Giorgio
I could be wrong about the source. As the springs were painted red, and there are only a few sources of Alfa parts, I gathered my mechanic source the springs from IAP... I'll have to ascertain their source of origination. Needless to say, some like the Bilstein feel, some don't.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for the feedback. I was considering the Momo Vegas that were/are for sale on the BB but with only 17mm offset, it seems that would be a mistake. I've got a set of Performance 5 stars on right now (came with the car, don't know the offset) with 185/60R14 that I wanted up replace with the 185/70s...the 60s rub so the 70s being taller I assume will rub worse. I think I'll go back to either the a set Turbinas or steel wheels (both of which I already have) for now. Thanks again.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Campi Turbina

I don't recall if the width of the steel wheels of mid-70's vintage, but they were 14 in diameter, and may have been 5.5 inches wide... in which case they should be fine with a 185/70 tire.

Regarding Turbinas, from memory, I believe they were 40mm offset wheels, and should work great with 185/70 tires... and they are quite light weight as well.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Marangoni's!!!!

Thank you all for the feedback. I was considering the Momo Vegas that were/are for sale on the BB but with only 17mm offset, it seems that would be a mistake. I've got a set of Performance 5 stars on right now (came with the car, don't know the offset) with 185/60R14 that I wanted up replace with the 185/70s...the 60s rub so the 70s being taller I assume will rub worse. I think I'll go back to either the a set Turbinas or steel wheels (both of which I already have) for now. Thanks again.
For what its worth here's my Berlina tyre knowledge to date. When I bought my 2000 Berlina 12 months ago it came with a set of Michelin XAS 165r14's as per factory fit:eek:. It also came with a whole bunch of spares including a set of 1750 wheels with 175/70r14 Yokohama's:(. As a temporary measure I fitted the Yoko's (which squeeled like a squeely thing on the slightest bend or even in car parks) but they never quite looked right. The reason being that the 1750 rims were 5jx14 whereas the 2000 rims are 5.5jx14. So Now I have just last week (before reading this thread) had my original 2000 rims shot blasted and painted then re-shod with a new set of Marangoni 185/70r14H tyres (they're Italian:cool:). The car now looks a little "chunkier" :Dwithout being out of place from stock and also rides smoother and seems a little more stable at speed. Absolutley no rubbing issues at all.:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts