Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All:

Anyone know where I can find a Berlina steering box in good or at least reparable condition.

PM me.

Thank you.

John Corbs

·
Premium Member
23,110 Posts
Maybe APE? (209) 833-8330. If it's a solid-steering-shaft box, I think you'll have to get another Berlina one. If it's a US 2000 car that has a U-joint shaft box, you should be able to use a similar box from a US 2000 GTV.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
5,767 Posts
Andrew:

Wouldn't any solid shaft box work (Spider/GTV/Berlina)? If it is a different length shaft (and a recirculating ball style) couldn't you take the shaft assembly out of the original box and install it in the donor box? They sure all look the same from a distance...

I have a couple of broken burman boxes that just this week I pulled from parts cars. I haven't yet looked at them to see how repairable they might be but if rogerspeed or someone else can't help, let me know and I'll take a look at them.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
23,110 Posts
The box is the same, but I'm not certain the shaft length is the same. If someone can confirm that, then yes. I don't offhand know how the shaft housing is attached to the box and whether it's easily changed; if it's bolted, then yes. If pressed, a tougher job.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
5,767 Posts
I know that the upper flange bolted on to the housing. I rebuilt my Spider box this summer and was rather surprised at how easy it was to tear down. Nice piece of engineering. I suspect the only reason they fail is after years of lubeless running...

·
Registered
496 Posts
The box is the same, but I'm not certain the shaft length is the same. If someone can confirm that, then yes. I don't offhand know how the shaft housing is attached to the box and whether it's easily changed; if it's bolted, then yes. If pressed, a tougher job.

Andrew
I didn't know anything about the u-joint boxes until a few weeks ago, but the solid shaft boxes can be interchanged. The shaft lengths are different, but you can swap them. Did this a couple of times with GTV and Spider boxes (the shafts are different there, too).

Cheers,
Karl

1 - 9 of 9 Posts