Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys...my 71 gtv steering box is "shattered"

a friend has one that fits a berlina ...will this fit my gtv or is the shaft different?...can i make it work?

don't know the condition of the shaft on the 71, but it's probably messed up

·
Out of the office!
11,674 Posts
hi guys...my 71 gtv steering box is "shattered"

a friend has one that fits a berlina ...will this fit my gtv or is the shaft different?...can i make it work?

don't know the condition of the shaft on the 71, but it's probably messed up
If the box is good on the Berlina you can swap the shaft from your old one to the new one. It's a little tedious, but can be done. Some of the GTV boxes have an articulated shaft.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
steering box

thanks osso

the box off the berlina is in great shape....hope i can make it work
There are three kinds of Burman steering boxes for 105/115 Alfas:
1st type with integral column for flattish steering wheels (up to 1967 for US cars, 1969 on Euro cars)
2nd type with integral, shorter column for deep dished steering wheel (used from 1969 on US cars)
3rd type has a u-joint between steering box and column - introduced aroud 1973 or 1974.

There are also ZF boxes, most common in US on very early cars or 80's Spiders. These should be interchangeable but I haven't done it.:confused:

2nd and 3rd types can be exchanged as an assembly. Installing the 1st type on a later car, or conversely, involves using the appropriate steering wheel and plastic housing around the top of the column.

I did the 1971 to 1974 swap on a Berlina; the u-joint came in very handy. I never figured out how to remove the original steering box/column assembly with the engine in place; I ended up dismantling it in place. The u-jointed box then litteraly fell in place in no time.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
apprciate it guys

don't see the u joint on the 71 box....see it on the 74 gtv shaft i have

don't see it on the berina box....guess when i take the 71 box apart i'll have a better idea

·
Registered
268 Posts
U- jointed steering boxes are US typical and RARE!!!!! and cool for in a racer...
You can interchange no problem, save for the possibility of your steering wheel not fitting. But any aftermarket wheel, or of course the berlina wheel will fit. Or interchange the plastic covers too.
I'd rather not take apart a steering house assy, unless you know what you're doing. Do NOT attempt to refurbish or take apart a ZF box!!!
To change with engine in situ:
Remove headers, battery etc. It can be done!

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok..think i'm starting to get it..here's what i have....

two steering boxes, both from berlina...one with a ujoint..one without

a steering column from a 73 gtv with a ujoint

a 71 gtv with an exploded steering box....non ujoint (i think it's without a ujoint...can really see it...pretty bad shape)

what would be the easiest way...i plan to pull the engine...for access and rebuild)..thanks guys

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
What to do

ok..think i'm starting to get it..here's what i have....

two steering boxes, both from berlina...one with a ujoint..one without

a steering column from a 73 gtv with a ujoint

a 71 gtv with an exploded steering box....non ujoint (i think it's without a ujoint...can really see it...pretty bad shape)

what would be the easiest way...i plan to pull the engine...for access and rebuild)..thanks guys
Here's how I installed a u-jointed steering box from a 1973 2000 Berlina onto a 1971 1750 Berlina, without pulling the engine or removing the exhaust system. The steering box had excessive play and was not to be reused (see below).

0- Disconnect battery.
1- Remove steering wheel if needed. Leave alone if not needed.
2- Dismantle steering column from car (remove plastic covers, remove bolt holding column under dash).
3- Disconnect electrical connections from column;
4- Disconnect tie rod ends from pitman arm;
5- Remove 3 bolts holding steering box to inner fender;
6- Move steering box forward to gain access to the 4 bolts holding the flange of the steering column tube to the steering box; support the box so it doesn't fall out at the next step.
7- Turn steering wheel (I don't remember which way) to unscrew steering shaft from inside the box. The ball bearings will fall into the box, making reassembly impossible without overhaul. If you plan to rebuild this steering box eventually, don't loose any, their size is calibrated.
8- Remove steering column assembly from the inside;
9- Remove steering box.

Reassembly is reverse of the above, as they say... :rolleyes: fit the steering box first, then center the wheels and fit the column.

I did this on a Berlina I used as a winter car in the mid 80's; I eventually parted out the car and reused the same u-jointed steering box and column on a 1972 2000 GTV.

BTW the excess play in my 1971 steering box was a loose pitman arm nut... so much for working on a beater all night.:confused:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts