Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Hoping someone can provide some insight into some of the smaller details for my Berlina resto.

There will be lots of questions to come as I rebuild the car, so here are a few for starters!

Firstly, regarding the bonnet (hood) stay, were these originally zinc plated or similar? While on the subject, is there a particular rivet for mounting it? I'd like to remove it for re-plating but not sure how to re-attach.

Also, for the hood torsion bars, underneath the mounting brackets there are some small wood blocks that have crumbled. Is there a source for these new, or should I just fashion some news one out of wood to fit?

For the boot (trunk) lock, the one on my car has no rubber seal around the stainless lock that protrudes through the body. Should this have a seal, as otherwise water will just leak through into the trunk whenever it rains.

There is a metal (aluminium I think) mounting strip that secures the rear trunk mat against the inside of the rear panel, how was this finished originally? Plated?

And lastly, I'd like to get the front door handles re-chromed. For the rear doors it's easy to disassemble the handle as the button is attached by a screw. However for the front handles the button/lock is attached via some strange looking fastener that appears to be permanently attached. Does anyone know if/how these can be removed and refitted.

All answers appreciated. Thanks! :)

·
Premium Member
22,382 Posts
1. What I have seen is "zinc" in the sense that it looked like it was zinc from new, but often get painted with the body, or black, or just a nice patinaed rusty color.
2. Yes there's a rivet, some kind of special Alfa one, I've never seen one to buy like it. A lot of people use a 5 or 6mm bolt with locknut. Not original but workable.
3. Torsion bars, I have not had them off to look at. There's a metal hold-down plate on top, right? I thought it was plastic underneath, but have not actually taken one off in so long I don't recall. Hard to imagine using wood there originally, but maybe.
4. No seal around the trunklid button; it's just a close fit.
5. Yes, a long thin metal strip across the top horizontal surface, holding the rubber curtain agains the rear panel. Five small sheetmetal screws if I recall. The strip is zinc (first vote) or stainless, I can't recall which. I've seen them painted silver, but I think that's a home remedy.
Andrew

·
Registered
228 Posts
since my berlina 2000 when I bought it was 100% original and really untouched:
1. hood stay was zinc however was painted black, not all the way.
2.was a rivet,I guess an aluminum one
3.torsion bars was zinc, underneath the metal hold down (zinc, too) as Andrew said in my berlina there is a black hard plastic and not wood
4. now, this is strange indeed...rear trunk lock originally (when you have a lock sealed in an alfa bag) comes with a rubber , but then this rubber couldnt be fit from the outside since it is not a tight fit ( I had more than 10 locks and the same happened to all!), so, this rubber must go behind the rear panel. This leaves the sealing issue oppen of course. However, in my berlina THERE was an outside tight fit rubber where ALL manuals didnt show anything like that!The thing here is that rubber is not actually tight fit since the lock button there must be free to get pushed or released. Finally in my car this rubber while was giving a true rain sealing its base was clued on the rear panel and that's all. Looked very original but as said before manuals dont show anything , maybe a latter alfa service upgrade.
5. rear metal strip was clearly zinced and the metal was from really soft iron, not steel. Similar strip for the Giulia was from stainless steel but this goes straight clamped on to the rear panel

·
Registered
228 Posts
ohh, as for the door locks. I didnt save any photos at all, but also the front locks can be repaired or dismantled. If I recall right I drilled the punched screw off and when put all the things back I used a proper stainless screw with locktite. I've done it in many door locks and works great.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the replies. :)

·
Premium Member
22,382 Posts
I've seen dozens of American spec Berlina and none had a seal at the trunk lock plunger, though I guess they all could have been removed. Giulias, yes. I have not looked at the parts book, which would tell the real story.
Not sure if this was the case with other markets, but in the US, 1750s had a lock that simply turned with the key. 2000s had a plunger you pushed in to open, turned to lock and unlock.
Andrew

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Andrew, on my 1750 (and I think it's the case for all in Australia), it has a plunger lock as well, although it is a different lock to the 2000 model.

·
Premium Member
22,382 Posts
Ah. Generalizing on the different jurisdictions' models' details can be a slippery slope without the factory manual in front of one, and sometimes even with it.
Thanks.
Andrew

1 - 8 of 8 Posts