Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up this '74 Berlina last october in Oregon and drove it home to CA after it had been sitting for 4 years. I knew there was some rust, but today I removed the glue in windsheild (I already have a giulia gasket type and trim to replace) and this is what I found.

Anyone have a Berlina that's been hit in the rear in CA? I need the doors, and these panels. I was set to fly to LA last weekend to part out the 71 that was in the wrecking yard, but it was crushed before I got there.

I'll try to document the rust repair for those that want to tackle the same on their cars.

Oh, as for the glue in windshields, good luck in removing it in one piece. I ended up with a nice 1 foot x 1 foot pile of glass when I was done, that sucker was glued in there well.

I have also included a photo of my new side marker lights, I bought these from Mr Fiat on e..**y, they are made in Italy and look pretty good. I have a clear set for the rear where I will either color the lens or use a red bulb

Kelly

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1984 GTV6, 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano
1,837 Posts
Ack, I can't look at that without gagging a little. Makes me fear what is under my bubbles. <shudder>

·
Premium Member
22,996 Posts
This is worse than most, but they pretty much all do this to some extent, as do GTVs (a Bertone signature?). Good luck Kelly, it'll be interesting to see how this goes.
Frank's of Berkeley was able to get two glued windshields out for me unmolested, one in a GTV and one in a Berlina. They're pros though with decades' experience.
Andrew

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Yeooch that is pretty nasty rust. Sure glad my rusty Giulia Super restoration project, wasn't rusty there. Will be interesting to see this repaired. Sure hope my GTV is ok in this area.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Passenger side completed

Well, after trying to find a good passenger side, I embarked on making my own off of the drivers side. Using my fiberglass hammer form and a profile gauge, I made a panel for the passenger side by welding together 3 separate pieces. Here's the results.

Now onto the driver's side. Then the drivers rocker....then the doors...then the rear quarter...then......???

Attachments

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Driver's side hammer form

Here's how I made a hammer form for the driver's side. I first laid up a couple of layers of fiberglass cloth, I then embedded this in bondo to create a hammer form. I then clamped a piece of 18 gauge steel to the hammer form and went to town with my hammer.

I also made a hardwood corking tool that matches the profile of the bend to stretch the metal into shape. This side should be easier than the passenger side since I have something to work with.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,859 Posts
Looks pretty good!!

·
Premium Member
1984 GTV6, 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano
1,837 Posts
Looks great Kelly! Glad to see you're pressing forward.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Drivers side rust repair

OK, onto the drivers side, this side was a little easier since I learned from the passenger side and I had less rust damage and more to work with.

I started off making the windshield channel, this started off with a piece of 18 gauge steel bent at 90 degrees, using my shrinker I was able to adjust this piece to fit the curvature of the opening.

I then cut out the old rusted metal and clamped this piece in place.

Next, using the pieces that I cut off, I embedded them in bondo to create a hammer form. I clamped a piece of metal over the hammer form and using a piece of hardwood and a 2 lb hammer I shaped the metal.

I then fit each of the patch panels before finally welding them into place.

Tomorrow I pick up my rocker sections from the local metal shop. Unlike the one I ordered from Europe, this one was made of the correct gauge steel and correct profile.

more photos to come.....

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts