Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1984 GTV6, 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Given the recent meteoric rise in Berlina values I figure it's time to start my nuts-and-bolt concours restoration.

But seriously, I do have a few items I'd like to return to original or better condition.

1. Seats. Anything special I need to tell the upholstery shop when I have my seats recovered? I saw something about contrasting stitching. The seats are black.

2. Side mirrors. I'd love to get some bullet style mirrors that are chrome and period for the Berlina. My OEM round mirrors don't stay in one place very long, rendering them pretty much useless.

3. Interior rear view mirror. The support rod doesn't actually touch the windshield, so it vibrates badly. I'll take a photo, anybody have a spare?

4. Small round turn signals. I think getting these out of the UK is the best bet, anybody else have other sources? I'd like to mount a set of orange up front, red in back to plug the holes left when the PO removed the ugly square lights.

5. Trunk mats/carpet. I doubt I'll find a good set, but anyone got one? Or got a set they could cut a pattern from? I'd pay for a pattern.

I could also use a good used black shift boot.

What do I have I don't need? A hood, an OEM AC unit, spare dash with gauges (74), a rear windscreen, a couple extra tail lights, and possibly some doors.

Thanks!
Ian

·
Premium Member
23,455 Posts
1. On the seats, I would take them apart myself and give the pieces to the shop without the hinges and plastic spacers, which they'll likely break and/or lose. The inner hinge is a tough item, and should be removed, then riveted back on afterward with strong rivets. They can upholster around it, or just slit the upholstery, but that'll look worse as time goes on. Can't say what the standard is re stitching, though modern stitching will likely be a lot stronger than what Alfa used. White stitching on black vinyl is going to look bling I'd think, if pimpin' is what you're after.
3. The rod is I think a soft plastic piece, perhaps 8mm x 1.25? Maybe use a screw with something soft (RTV, tape, something) on the end to cushion?
4. There are some very similar small round lights for GTV/Berlinas I found on ebay and put on a friend's 74 Berlina. Not perfect original Alfa, but very close, made by Carello, and looked and fit great. Poke around online. You can also go with 69 markers, but good ones are pricey.
5. Trunk mat on a 2000 is grey indoor/outdoor carpeting with a slippery backing. I bet you can find something pretty close by looking around and using someone's existing one as a pattern to cut; no edging or sewing involved. Vertical rubber drapes good luck finding in usable condition; they tend to flake/get torn.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
23,455 Posts
1. Clarification: on the seats I meant the outer adjuster hinge thingy to remove yourself. It's held on my allen screws with fine threads and I guaran-****-tee-ya the shop will eff them up. Inner hinges are held on by three big rivets, unless someone has previously removed them and replaced with bolts or screws. I've done them both ways, removed, upholstered, bolted back on, and had a cheap guy just slit the upholstery to fit around them.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Andrew.

Re: the contrasting stitching, I saw someone post on the red Berlina that just sold something about the stitching not being correct. I imagine my current seats are original based on the condition, so I'll just have them match them.

Thanks for the tip on disassembling them myself.

As much as I hate to split up a set, I'm likely going to take the good foam from a passenger seat and use that along with the original driver's hardware, which should make a nice new-ish firmer seat. If Berlina's become 50k cars someone else can afford to have new foam built. Not me.

·
Premium Member
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! Did you have those recovered locally? I think I have enough material left that they could be duplicated.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
They are leather and done locally.

·
Premium Member
23,455 Posts
Looks right on. I've had that kind of pattern done all kinds of local places. The shop needs to be careful and be able to sew in straight, parallel lines. Some upholsterers underestimate on Alfas without appreciating how much careful sewing is involved. It's not a pillowcase that you just pull over the seats.
Andrew

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
if you want, I have ALL the parts you mention, NEW, including seat cover restoration kits, including the whole sets, inc headrests, arm support etc, and panelling for the doors. Not cheap but far less than having everything retrimmed. Available for 2000 and 1750 models, from Italy by the ORIGINAL manufacturer. Have fitted several.

In several OEM colors, styles and materials. The fit perfectly, but I'd recommend having them fitted by a good shop.

Hoods: have several good used ones and some NOS.
Berlina trunks never had carpet. Rubber matting available but horrendously expensive. A mat set is far cheaper but also available.

mirror sustaining bolt (plastic) available NEW.

OEM mirrors, rectangular, available new. Etc etc..

Can ship too.

Rik

1 - 9 of 9 Posts