Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 381 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The time-honored "free Berlina," previously though to have died out completely through much-delayed appreciation of the model's better qualities, and market escalation, in fact exists. I was given this 74 2000 Berlina today, completely out of the blue. It's a car I owned many years ago, and obviously it's seen some tough times, but it was in daily use til last summer in spite of its appearance. In the past year it's been cannibalized a bit, so it's missing a few things. It's got a hybrid engine with 74 bottom end and 81 top end (with VVT), the trans is sitting in my Explorer, and it has no driveshaft. It was converted to stainless bumpers 10 years ago, bought from me. It has new tires, 1750 wheels and hubcaps, and short CL springs in the back; I'll need to lower the front to match. A few instruments and whatnot were liberated too, all in the interest of keeping a much nicer 72 Berlina running. But I cannot complain about the price.
Not sure what my plan is. I've been looking for a beater Berlina and this fills that bill. I'll register it, then figure out what engine to sort out for it, put in the trans, find a driveshaft, and get it on the road. Until this car I've been Spica-less since I sold my GTV, a rare thing for me. It'll be good to have a Spica car again.
Do I need it? Heck no. But can I say no to a free Alfa? Heck no. I now need to accelerate my efforts to sell my Milano and Giulietta Berlina. If you're interested let me know.
Andrew

Attachments

·
Registered
563 Posts
Fantastic ! There's something great about putting a car back to rights (with a few choice upgrades along the way) - a feeling all Alfisti share; it goes with the territory :)

I park my Super in front of a rubbish skip now and again too, just to keep the unspoken threat fresh in it's mind....

Cheers,

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
It's like a lost dog finding its way back to your driveway. I may be going to look at a junkyard Berlina in a day or two. I'll see if it has a driveshaft. Of course, I'm sure you'll check APE first. I'm pretty sure I've got some white-faced guages around as well if you don't already have what you need. Good luck. As Kevin Trent, one of the first Berlina nuts I met, told me "you gotta have at least one beater Berlina."

·
Premium Member
22,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Yes, will need a full driveshaft. It's short a trans mount and small six-bolt crossmember, which I might have. It'll also need a light/turn signal switch. Alas, I long ago gave up on getting a beater Berlina, so some of these things I had but sold. Oh well, let's hope folks reciprocate. Luckily I have one good Spica pump and an actuator. But I just sold another actuator, and if I'd known this was coming, I'd have kept it.

Andrew

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Andrew, you RULE !!! You Have to get it up and Driving !! You will be my Hero !!

{I have 're-owned' a couple Alfas, and a chance to Love again was sweet,,,,

·
Premium Member
22,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do have a complete Jafco turbo kit with instructions and the promise of help from one of the Jafco guys in setting it up. Would that be the ultimate sleeper, or what? Probably that's a pipe dream, as such an engine would be way too much money, work, and development in a car this rough. Note the nasty rust at the RR wheelwell and door.
Andrew

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Awesome, surprising amount of rust for California, was it backed into the Pacific?

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Andrew,
I noticed that your new Berlina has body side mouldings. I have seen these on other Berlinas, mainly 74 models. Where these mouldings a dealer item or option? I took some off a 74 that was originally sold in the US. I have some if you need tto fill in the gaps or if someone else on this board needs them.

·
Premium Member
22,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There's a fair amount of rust in the top of the RR wheelwell and bottom of RR door. Beyond that it's not really rusty. The paint is very worn (though much is original) and it hasn't been washed in years, so it looks worse than it is. That level of rust is very common on West Coast Berlinas. The floors and rockers tend to be pretty good, but the area above the rear wheelwells, and door bottoms, rot. TADT (they all do that). It's worse on the right side in the US, I think because that's the downhill side when parked on crowned streets.

The moldings were dealer-installed, and done on I think a majority of 2000 Berlinas. The pieces themselves seem consistent, but the placement can vary by and inch or two, and in straightness. Some enterprising dealers installed double strips on Berlinas. GTVs rarely got it, but it was not uncommon on Spiders along the top and/or bottom of the "blood trough."

If anyone has strip for the RR door I'm interested.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Hi Andrew,
Like I said I have these strips, I can send that piece to you for the cost of shipping.
Let me know.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
22,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sure, great, love to have them. I'll PM you.
Car looks a little better already, with four hubcaps on now, and is out of the street and in my salon. Once it gets that rubstrip it'll be ready for Concours de LeMons.
This is taking a bit of a back seat, as VW van is the primary patient at the moment, then I have a couple small projects ahead of it. But I'll start amassing parts and seeing what I do and don't have. I found I have a good turn signal/light switch. Haven't dug into the greasy boxes yet to see if I have a trans mount and crossmember.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
Andrew,

I had a look at the junkyard Berlina today, VIN # AR300749. It's a 2L car w/stainless bumpers so I guess it's a '72 or '73. Speedo and tach were there but the tri-gauges were gone. Body is very rotton but it still has the drive train in it. I'm not sure what would be involved in removing the shaft since they don't allow you to jack the car up yourself. If you don't find one from APE, let me know and I'll inquire. I've got a rear transmission crossmember if you wind up getting me to send you some parts. Let me know what gauges you need. Got any Berlina t-shirts left?

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
Nah, the boneyard won't sell a whole car. Plus the city has looked rather unfavorably on my past parts cars. These guys are pretty reasonable though, $180 for an engine, $100 transmission, etc. Fellow BB'r Leonard Kelly and I had a fun afternoon looking around the place, even with temps in the 20's and a significant wind chill.

·
Premium Member
22,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Since I'm accepting free cars, I'll take anything the city makes you get rid of, tee hee.
Combing through my parts and find I have a spare console, which it needs. Has cool red CL rear springs, front needs to come down a long way to match. Rear shocks are in the trunk, so it bounces pretty well right now. Sadly, has an old crack in the windshield. My friend Chris just had an insurance job pay for a new windshield on his 72 Berlina, and the bill came to $1200 including glass, shipping, installation. Ouch!
Andrew

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
A bit late here, but COOL!

Keep us posted on the sorting out process.

·
Premium Member
1984 GTV6, 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano
1,635 Posts
Nice find Andrew! Just how many Berlina's have you owned now?

Heh, sorry about that T/A Andrew, but at least it's now installed and I'm using the Berlina as our second car. "the race car" as my daughter calls it.

I have doors, a hood, a trunk (which I need), rear glass and a few misc pieces if you need any of it.

Bill, you should grab those bumpers before the Berlina goes away. I'm interested in them for the right price, although shipping will suck.

·
Premium Member
22,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, now regretting all the TAs I've sold, but I do have one left.
I can't say how many Berlinas I've had, and particularly how many maroon ones. I'll count up, but it's in the neighborhood of 10-12. A couple were parts car when I got them, and subsequently got cut up, though not by me. Bought my first, an olive 1969 1750, in Sept. 1995, but I'd had Giulia sedans since 1977.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
22,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dug through my piles and boxes, which I prudently/presciently starting keeping in 1977, and came up with everything needed except:
* Clamshell top and bottom for steering column cover.
* 1/4 stock exhaust manifold (have 2/3).
* Driveshaft (I have a back half from a Super, which will fit, but not sure of its condition).

Found one good used headlight rim, one NOS one, which really is a shame to waste on this car, but I recollect I got it on ebay for like $5. So why not? I'll call that the start of its "restoration."

Can anyone local help with the missing pieces? Shipping a driveshaft very far would be pricey.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
22,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I found a [film] print of this car when I had it 10ish years ago. It had sat out in El Cerrito, CA for some years, but we're in a pretty mild climate here. My then-seven-year-old son and I spent 3 or 4 hours waxing it before I sold on the Alfa Digest to the first responder for $600, and it looked pretty darn good. It was all one color, it shined, had no primer showing through, still had its rubber bumpers, and really was quite presentable. The ensuing 10 years have been very hard on its cosmetics. The RR fender was just starting to show rust.

Andrew

1 - 20 of 381 Posts