Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just a quick question, and a bit of an obscure one at that....

Does anyone know what the original finish was on the bonnet springs that run across the top of the front clip on the 1750 Berlina? There looks to be remnants of a gold anodized type finish on mine, perhaps a zinc or nickel plating, so was wondering if this was the original finish?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Howdy Damo,

Not sure about the 1750 sedans but the springs (torsion bars) on 2ltr Berlinas are usually painted black. That suggests that they were fitted after the shells were painted and saved colour co-ordinating them to each car. Have you noticed the dinky little wooden blocks that they mount in? Very olde worlde....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah my little wooden blocks are breaking apart, so I'll have to fashion some new ones. It can be a job for my carpenter brother!

And I stand corrected on the torsion bars, I wasn't sure what the correct name was!

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Andrew, your description matches what mine appear to be. They're dark grey now, with what appears to be remnants of zinc plating under the mounting brackets. I think I'll give them a sand and get them zinc plated again. The bonnet support was probably the same so I'll get that done too.

·
Premium Member
22,253 Posts
I looked at my current 72 2000 and it reflects this; 35-year-old corroded zinc or similar plating.

Andrew

·
Registered
55 Posts
Here's a good example of why it's always a good idea to check facts before posting stuff. I was quite sure the above mentioned torsion bars holding open Berlina bonnets were black, however closer examination of at least two cars has revealed that they are/were plated with zinc or something similar as you guys have already noted.

Completely undaunted by this appalling tendency to reply to posts based on memory rather than fact I then set off on a quest to find some black painted torsion bars fitted to an Alfa Romeo, since I was quite sure that I'd seen some somewhere.

And guess what? Under the parcel tray of a 2ltr GTV I found two black painted torsion bars holding open the boot lid. WOW! .........Having now proven some sort of credibility I look forward to posting again knowing full well I can contribute something useful (however small) to the Alfa community. I feel better already. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
arvorio - I've also seen some black ones, which I think may be a fairly common treatment from owners doing a resto, however I was pretty sure they must have been zinc plated originally, so I recieved your initial advice/info with appreciation, then disregarded it :)

So don't beat yourself up over it, I won't be taking any legal action against you, this time! :)

·
Premium Member
22,253 Posts
I think on the white 2000 above, which I owned at one point, they were black. Pretty hard to tell with low res pics.
Andrew

1 - 9 of 9 Posts