Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Fist post of what no doubt will be many pages.
Here she is in her new home. The car sat for 29 years in a dry metal building and didn't roll very well. Fortunately I had spare rotors and calipers so I can now roll it around. The rust was understated but what else is new. It's straight and doesn't appear to have had any shunts, a good canidate for someone who has always wanted a Berlina.

·
Premium Member
2,784 Posts
Looking good. Congrats on the purchase.

·
Premium Member
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Premium Member
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A fair amount of work

·
Premium Member
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Still digging in. I was told the inner sills just needed patching, HA! More like they don't exist. In for a penny in for a pound. Not impossible but it will take some time and coin, I've got plenty of the first :)
My inspiration on the left.

My first bit of metal work..

sorry for the camera movement

The area right aft of the rear door, good time for the future rust abatement.

Not quite finished on this one.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Three Alfas...

Looks like you have a winner there gigem. And a whiner once you do some of your famous head work on the motor! Keep the photos coming, we all LOVE photos.
No wonder the cops in Italy used these cars- their high reving motors and nimble handling in tight situations made them a natural choice for chasing bad guys.

·
Premium Member
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Considering nothing was there before and I'm an amateur beater a new wheel well wing, middle and inner sills at the angled end is progress. The front angled in sill portion and floor pan are next. I finally used up the sheet metal I bought 5 years ago and have another sheet ordered. Then I can do the middle section and install the new rocker panel. I guess I'm lucky in a way because for some unknown reason the areas around the glass, taillights, and gas cap door are in really good shape.
I'll use the hole to shoot anti rust in when the rocker is on and then seal it.

·
Premium Member
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Premium Member
2,784 Posts
Oh MAN!!!!

·
Premium Member
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had asked about the inner sills... "just a few patches"... so the statement about being on concrete now must be taken with a huge grain of salt. The boot and front crossmembers are in excellent shape, go figure.

·
Premium Member
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just about ready for the pan.

·
Premium Member
4,519 Posts
I had asked about the inner sills... "just a few patches"... so the statement about being on concrete now must be taken with a huge grain of salt. The boot and front crossmembers are in excellent shape, go figure.
Northern road salt

·
Premium Member
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think I can repair the rears. The only metal I've found for the Berlina is outer rocks, front jack points, and front pans. I'm having to make everything below the doors. Considering there was nothing there before I gotta be happy with the middle sill here. I'm going to use what had passed for outer rockers for the middle section of the middle sill because it has a nice curve to it. I've got new outer rocks. The floorpans are not a perfect fit as the profile along the trans tunnel is completely different and to wide.

·
Premium Member
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Time to add the middle sill.

·
Premium Member
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A little light at the end of this tunnel. The metalwork underneath is not factory smooth but it is sound. The outer rocker in a test fit looks good though.

·
Premium Member
2,784 Posts
You're moving at a pretty good clip.

Thanks for showing your work.

Bob

·
Premium Member
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you. To tell I wasn't sure this was within my abilities.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts