Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help needed! Brake fluid dripping from under rear servo when starting to bleed system. Not coming from brake pipe connections.

Brakes had locked up a few months ago, pressure released by loosening the rear servo outlet pipe. Lots more brake problems with front calipers holding on.
Decided to do lots of refurbishment to braking system:
New master seals
New flexible hoses x 3
New seals to front calipers
New front pads
New OSR caliper (sheared bleed nipple)
Some new Cu/Ni lines
Servos not touched during refurbishment.

All together now and tried to bleed system. Is new servo seals kit likely to cure? or Should I just go for new Servo?

·
Premium Member
21,129 Posts
THe lockup is classic bad servo behavior, as is the dripping fluid (seals are leaking into chamber). Get a new one, get it rebuilt, or buy a kit from Classic Alfa in the UK and rebuild. I did for my 69 Spider, no problem. Kit was $115 or so. Make sure the bore is basically good, that the air valve functions, and that you can get the little "hat" piston and its seal out of the angled bore for the air valve.

This assumes a Bendix/Bonaldi type. Lockheed type work on the same theory, but are totally different inside. You can buy knockoff Lockheed types from Moss Motors and other Brit places, may not have metric threads though.

Andrew

Andrew

·
Premium Member
21,129 Posts
One test for lockup; leave the hydraulics hooked up but disconnect and block the vacuum line. Does it become free?

Andrew

1 - 3 of 3 Posts