Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I give up. I've looked through the shop manual several times, but can't find a torque figure for the bolts that attach the bellhousing to the engine. Help, please!

·
Premium Member
622 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,738 Posts
I don't think anyone ever torques them. As fine 8mm studs/bolts, they don't need to be killer tight. 15-18 ft/lbs? I've never seen them come loose, at least on a street car.

Andrew

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was just surprised not to see a spec in the manual. All the bolts that hold the transmission casings together, and the nuts holding the bell housing to the transmission have a torque spec, so I was expecting to be able to find one for attaching the transmission to the engine.

All the transmission casing nuts and bolts are around 14ft/lbs, so I think I'll use that when I reconnect the transmission to the engine.

·
Premium Member
22,738 Posts
The bellhousing-trans, and trans case bolts are more critical, since they're sealing oil in the trans, and holding the bearings, etc., in place. The tolerances are more critical there. The trans-engine bolts are not doing so critical a job. Lots of cars are running around with one or more upper engine-trans bolts missing, coarse nuts on fine studs, missing location dowels, etc., without too much damage.

The engine I just took out of a 73 Spider was missing both bellhousing locating dowels and was working fine.

Andrew

·
Registered
461 Posts
Missing bell housing/engine bolt.

Does anyone know what size bolt/stud is directly above the clutch slave cylinder attaching the bell housing to the engine? As the clutch is depressed, with it missing, it causes a 1/16th to 1/8th gap at the slave cylnder area between the bellhousing and engine. It seems to be about 3 1/2 inches long (longer than the rest) and maybe an 8M? 10M is too big. Is it fine or course? 1.25 or 1.5? Is it a stud threaded on the bell housing side only? The hole is through and through so it is not broken off?? Any thoughts are appreciated from you great people!!

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Just crawled under my 87 spid, and cant tell. I would buy a few bolts of various sizes in metric, and keep receipt, and just return the ones that you dont keep! Get different lengths and widths, get different threads and gently screw in bolt that advances without much resistance. If you get the slightest resistance, STOP, and go to the next thread density. This worked for me when I had to find bolts for re doing my AC system from scratch. Just dont force anything when inserting bolt.
Joe

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
Stud size is 8mm x 1.0mm x 70mm.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts