Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still have that problem, when I press the clutch down, I hear a squeak, kind of a strained, interrupted squeak, sounds like something is straining inside that clutch fork area. Man, what now? Just put in new in 2004. New throwout bearing/etc. Any ideas? Lube inside somehow?

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I know its the day before Thanksgiving, but, does that mean we dont log on to alfabb? Never!! LOL.

You know, now that I think about it, its more of a creeeeak, creeeeeak sound than a squeak squeak.

·
Administrator
16,629 Posts
Do you hear it more inside the car (thinking some oil on the clutch pedal pivot might help) or outside/under the car (thinking the throw out bearing is failing). AFAIK, the T-O bearing is sealed - "lubed for life". They don't say whose life, though - yours or the bearings...

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
there is also another source for noise, the end of the slave cylinder where it pushes on the arm, origonaly there was a rubber boot on the tip, these are often gone. a little grease on the tip can cure a very anoying noise.
cliff

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you hear it more inside the car (thinking some oil on the clutch pedal pivot might help) or outside/under the car (thinking the throw out bearing is failing). AFAIK, the T-O bearing is sealed - "lubed for life". They don't say whose life, though - yours or the bearings...
Eric, it is clearly inside the bell housing. I crawled under there and had my litle girl press the pedal, and it is inside for sure. New bearing in 2004, only 18,000m ago.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
there is also another source for noise, the end of the slave cylinder where it pushes on the arm, origonaly there was a rubber boot on the tip, these are often gone. a little grease on the tip can cure a very anoying noise.
cliff
Stupid boot is torn, has been for about a year. New slave installed in 2004, like everything else. This stuff dont last for beans. I will apply some lube here though, cant hurt, eh?

·
Administrator
16,629 Posts
Eric, it is clearly inside the bell housing. I crawled under there and had my litle girl press the pedal, and it is inside for sure.
Do you hear it when she presses the pedal engine off or it is while the engine is running (idling)?

I'd expect a bad throw out bearing would only make noise while the engine is running. If it squawking when the clutch is moved - engine off - then it might not be abnormal. You are flexing the clutch springs and they might normally make a creaking sound.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you hear it when she presses the pedal engine off or it is while the engine is running (idling)?

I'd expect a bad throw out bearing would only make noise while the engine is running. If it squawking when the clutch is moved - engine off - then it might not be abnormal. You are flexing the clutch springs and they might normally make a creaking sound.
Noisy with engine off. Well then eric, I guess this is good news. Although, done remember this when bearing was new, but, I will live with it. I feel much better now. Thanks, bud. (did yours ever do this, or anyone else's you know of?

Have a nice Thanksgiving!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Along that same line, my 91 S4 makes a not-very-loud metallic squealing noise when the clutch is engaged, but it stops when the clutch is depressed. I really only hear it when, as now, the top is up. Other than the noise, the clutch seems to be working OK. Does the noise indicate that something is about to go? Or, is this an it's-the-charm-of-an-Italian-car-so-ignore-it kind of thing?

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Joe Papa Sr. did applying some grease eliminate or lessen the squeek. I have the same annoying sound at my bellhousing. And regarding the grease point, are we talking between the ball of the cylinder piston rod and where it contacts the clutch fork. Thanks

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
I just hope it wasnt what my noise truned out to be. I thought the throughout bearing was bad, but it was the lay shaft bearing making all the noise.
the clutch pusher lube also stops an anoying high pitched ringing, or kind of a "zing" sound, possibly by damping vibrations between the pusher and the fork.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Hi Mike,

I think you can, not easy, but I think you can grab a hold of the pin that pushes the fork and push it back into the slave.

You will need to be fast to get some grease in there.

Good luck,

Vin

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Joe Papa Sr. did applying some grease eliminate or lessen the squeek. I have the same annoying sound at my bellhousing. And regarding the grease point, are we talking between the ball of the cylinder piston rod and where it contacts the clutch fork. Thanks
yikes- 2007, the pre crash good ol days..LOL

dont remember. Too lonfg ago, but it wasnt a serioous enough problem, still driving it with that clutch fork. But, yes, if you have to lube, only point is between the clutch "ball" depression and ball itself. maybe with a thin cheap hog hair bristle brush, and some thiick oil, cant hurt at all.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yes (see post above). Not easy to see while doing it, BTW.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Mike,

I don't think you can pull the fork back, but if I remember, I think you can, not easy, but I think you can grab a hold of the pin that pushes the fork and push it back into the slave.

You will need to be fast to get some grease in there.

Good luck,

Vin
maybe possible- never tried it, but still, that too has much pressure. But, I would smear heavy oil/grease all around the ball, easy to get to, and eventuially, the grease will probably work around/under the ball. My opinion.

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
... but if I remember, I think you can, not easy, but I think you can grab a hold of the pin that pushes the fork and push it back into the slave...
Bingo, thanks Vince.
I was just in the garage and was able to push the ball back towards the slave a touch and sprayed the heck out of it with some teflon spray grease which dries waxy and doesn't attract dust. Did this about 3 times over a 10 minute period... eventually pressed the clutch pedal and silence! I think it even lightened the feel of the clutch pedal a little.

Sure wish I thought to do this sooner.

Thanks all.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Did this about 3 times over a 10 minute period... eventually pressed the clutch pedal and silence!
Nice!

Glad you got it sorted.

Vin

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bingo, thanks Vince.
I was just in the garage and was able to push the ball back towards the slave a touch and sprayed the heck out of it with some teflon spray grease which dries waxy and doesn't attract dust. Did this about 3 times over a 10 minute period... eventually pressed the clutch pedal and silence! I think it even lightened the feel of the clutch pedal a little.

Sure wish I thought to do this sooner.

Thanks all.
Yes, thats a good thing, for now, as long as it lasts. Say you report back here in 3-6 months to let us klnow, eh? Too much friction in that ball. Even teflon wont be able to withstand that for much time. I figure though, its kinda like a maintenence item- teflon it every say, 6 months iif squeak reappears.....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts