Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess one of our common secrets is to find out , what is going on behind our door panels. But, from what others saying door’s mechanics and weather strips are so complex and finally we looking for getting there …tomorrow, not today. I have the luck to have a Giulia Super in which car I do anything to learn about A.R. In this period of time I’m not focused to have her restored, thus no worries If I’m doing any wrong movement or a repair. While I’m saying this, the funny thing is that (and because I’m not anxious of the results) everything I do is without any doubt correct and till now I didn’t broke anything. From yesterday a Giulia’s door completely striped. Mr 101/105 Guy helped me to have the window glass out with his yesterday’s advice.
So, the window is out, the window regulator mechanism is out, vent regulator assembly was out, velvet window channel guide is out and of course the window support bracket. All of them ready to have them restored.
And I did them in a day! I want to share with you and might add some little help to one who might have some problems behind the door panels.
I will concentrate in two items : 1) the vent regulator assembly and 2) the metal support bracket.
The second one ( the bracket) seems plays a vital role if we want a nice and smooth window’s up and down. You can see on the attached that the roller usually don’t move perfectly both sides as it must be. It can go out the bracket’s rail because the circular pin holds it in always. But, this creates some play or some delay. It is easily to get the roller sit correct again. Just find a way ( even with a hammer, easy…) to get the supposed lines of the bracket in parallel. One or two checks with the roller in is enough to see if you are Ok. At the end the roller moved tightly and smoothly at the same time even with out lubrication . Speaking of lubr I might say I bored of grease. After some years ( or months…) you get grease together with everything else mixed up. I found that German Wurth has a very special lub for gears like that, silicon based. Discrete and most of all, GREAT and drastic and live for years.
About the vent regulator assembly: I can’t recall now the thread but a friend from UK some months ago, wondering how he can get in that thing. I guess I have the answer!
First of all , If someone doesn’t want to bother with that space item, yes, it has a small tiny hole on the back side as we see it from the front and I discovered this hole at the end, while I was wondering where exactly I had to drill to pass a nipple for future lubrication. But having in mind Wurth’s lubrication I was happy to found out the already hole. This hole is just over the point the gears contact each other. Perhaps, they use to lub the assembly after and not at the process. You can easily wide up a little this hole just to have the proper diameter to push inside the small red extension tube usually comes with the lubrication spray.
With the proper attention you can also drill the three sealed type screws which packs the two parts of the assembly. After this, the inside of the assembly will be in your hands. I clean the gear and the shaft in petrol to have a better view of things. So, we can reduce any end play both in the gear and the shaft. The gear has on the bottom side a spring, it is strong. Gave it some more 2-3 mm more in length and the gear sat more secure and without any end play. On the shaft’s side there are two washers. The rear one and the front which is of spring type. After some years the second one loose and finally gives the shaft an end play, too. I replace the washer with a new one and the shaft turns now perfect and with no end play. I joined the two parts of the assembly with three new nuts and washers ( while it was separated I lubricated the gears) and the assembly now is new and turns real strong and smooth. As I told you before, I tried to lub the assembly via the hole and it was about the same. But, why not to try to separate the two parts in case you have some end play problems and have the lubrication in situ?
Hope my notes help you.

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts