Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, here's the deal: My wife is going out of town with the kids the weekend of July 21 and 22. So i'm organizing the first ever

Beer and Bondo Party

Location: My house in Stevenson Ranch, California. Right near Magic Mountain in the Santa Clarita area.

Hours: saturday late morning until monday afternoon

Reason: To turn my stripped Giulia Super from old paint and dents to (hopefully) shiny white

I can promise these things:
It'll be hot ( probably the 90's at least )
It'll be a learning experience ( i have none )
I'll supply beer, soft drinks, water, pizza, and all the supplies we'll need

You will supply: Alfa camraderie, work ( some hard, some easy ), thirst and hunger

I have a couple work buddies already lined up for part of the time ( one who did a PERFECT rhd conversion on a honda, the other who has painted a couple cars already and whose equipment i'm borrowing )

So ... who's in ??? Simon, Bryan, Anthony ?????

I talked to a paint supply guy and he says it's very doable, expecially for just a race car paint job. We will be hammering and filling dents, priming, and painting. All in my driveway !!!

Come one, come all !!! It'll definitely be an experience

Send me a pm or email if you're interested.

Ciao,

Dan

Attachments

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I too shall try to attend, but like yourself I do not have any of these skills. Therefore, it will be the perfect time to practice my supervisory skills by saying things like, "you're not doing that right...", or "what's taking so long...", or "the break's over, let's get back to work...".

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

·
Admin
4,862 Posts
Man this sounds like fun!!

I might be out of town that weekend but if I'm not you can count on me being there. I'll talk to the boss tonight and reply again. ;)

Do you have a wireless connection at your house? Perhaps we can do a web cast of the cars transformation or me eating some pizza at the least. :)

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ALRIGHT !!! EXCELLENT !!!

Yes, it's JULY 21 and 22. ( actually I'll be working friday evening july 20th before I have to work the graveyard shift, and I'll also be working all day monday the 23rd. )

Yes I have a wireless connection with broadband cable

An Alficionada article sounds perfect.

I'm going to try to get all the welding and dent bumping done beforehand. We'll be filling and doing a lot of sanding. I have a d/a air sander and we'll be doing a lot of wet sanding by hand.

I've found a great paint supply shop and he swears we can do this. We'll be using 220 grit for the initial smoothing. Then we'll shoot it with polyester primer that's kind of like spray bondo. It goes on thicker and will fill in the sand marks. When that's dry we'll wet sand by hand with 440 grit. Then we'll shoot it white. He recommends painting on a wet down driveway at 5:30 am for best results.

ANY skill level is welcome !!!

Thanks y'all. I'll be out of town from July 5 - 16, but I'll be checking email and the bb periodically.

Thank you

Dan

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay y'all

WE'RE STILL ON !!!!!

Wife is out of town for 4 days. We have friday evening for a few hours, all day saturday, sunday and monday. Perhaps a bit tuesday morning.

So, who is gonna make it. I have one confirmed so far.

Please help me make this happen !!!

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
overhauling or alfahauling

We could be looking at the first ever web cast of AlfaHauling (the pilot?) presented by AlfaBB...........who could take on the role of Chip Foose?

I'm not poking fun here, I actually think this is a good idea.

:)

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
You wouldn't want me there because I'd leave a bill before I left. Not to rain on your parade, but after sanding it down thoroughly, treating any rust, and either before or after the plastic filler (Bondo) stage is completed, would spray it with PPG's epoxy primer. Although I most often sand it, it is in theory a non-sanding primer. It dries fast, and you can then apply about three coats of the high-build primer. Have the pizza and beer, then get out the water buckets, sanding pads, paper, and whip (since it's a lot like rowing a ship).

Boy am I looking forward to seeing the 'completed job' by Tuesday (?).

Good luck!

Biba

If it comes out close to a mint street restoration finish, bring the gang over to my place and I'll not only feed and provide beverages, I'll actually pay everyone (while I drink beer and eat pizza).

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey guys

Gifford: I'll be pm-ing you shortly

Biba: Actually I'll be using a polyester primer over the filler and the sanded original paint. Then sand again and shoot with polyurethane white paint.

It's only a racecar paintjob so don't go looking for miracles !!!

Dan

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Dan, I just assumed you were shooting (so to speak) for a paint job equivalent to the one in the Super's photo you included. Okay having a bit of fun. However, if you do get a pretty decent paint finish, I would like to see it and assume you'll post it.

Must admit the 'paint' on your car looks a lot like major surface rust. From what is shown though, the body looks pretty good.

Biba

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi again,

Here is a VERY tentative schedule of events. It would be amazing if we actually stuck to it !!!

Friday evening ( 4 to 9pm ) and saturday: weld, fill, sand
Sunday: prime in the morning ( may slip to afternoon or monday )
Monday: paint at 5:30am - when the breezes are few and the temps low

Wife comes home monday afternoon/evening. She has the worlds most sensitive nose so I want to be done before she gets home. That may mean painting the final coat another day ( hope not ).

Thanks,

Dan

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Dan,

As may have noticed, I didn't make it. I got invited to a party and I don't have to drive because it's next door, so I can have more than one beer. Anyway, are you making progress? Are there some pictures of the activities?

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Beer-Bondo day 1

Well I was there till about 1pm. The wife has other Alfa friends (not mechanical types) coming over to our place this afternoon.
Dan finished up some welding of the roll cage and a patch panel in the engine compartment first thing this morning.
Then about 11 we started with the "bondo" and wet sanding the finish. By the color of the paint residue left on the driveway the car used to be purple, but it really looked more like rust.
Brian came by about noon and I left with him sanding and cleaning.
Not much rust or bad dents to deal with. A LOT more sanding and "bondo" needs to be done before primer can go on.
We could really use the help to get the car ready for paint. Dan wants to paint it Monday morning.
I'll be back Sunday morning to do my part.
Come on out there is lots to do.
Here's a couple of crummy photos.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Guys, looks good from here. I do wonder what the wife will say regarding the purple stain on the driveway. Should wash away in a year or two. Whatever color you paint it might take a bit longer.

Biba

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey everybody,

After Paul and Bryan left at around 3 i finally let myself take a break and get something to eat. I crashed on the sofa till 4:30 ( I'd been up for about 36 hours straight at this point ).

I did get some more filler on the car and finished sanding the roof which had the worst paint. I also finished the removal of the last of the few parts ( rear shocks, pedal box, vent window mechanisms ) I had left to do . Did a little ( very ) cleanup and finally got to bed around 10:30.

I got up at about 7 and man am I SORE !!!

Paul and my work friend Jason are due in today. Yes, I sure could use a few more bodies if were gonna prime today. I know it probably wont happen but a boy can dream !!!

Oh and regarding the mess on the driveway: I have a pressure washer sh cleanup should be a breeze.

Thanks and we'll keep you posted.

Dan

1 - 20 of 28 Posts