Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all
How much is a fuel pump JOB (parts+labor) on 164s? My local mechanic quotes $650. And how hard is it to tackle the job myself from a scale of 1-10? I've never replaced one in an Alfa before( including my late gtv6), but I have done it once for a 1981 honda accord. So I'm not all that clueless about fuel pump. Thanks in advance!

Ken

·
Premium Member
9,749 Posts
Hi, all
How much is a fuel pump JOB (parts+labor) on 164s? My local mechanic quotes $650. And how hard is it to tackle the job myself from a scale of 1-10? I've never replaced one in an Alfa before( including my late gtv6), but I have done it once for a 1981 honda accord. So I'm not all that clueless about fuel pump. Thanks in advance!

Ken
Fuel pump will run you $230 which is part of the high cost. Plus you want to replace the tank seal which is N/A but I have a fix for that and check the in tank lines to see if they need replacing
This is the hard way but you can do it with the tank still in the car and hopping in the trunk. I did it once or twice as not to have to pull the tank.
It is a pain but I got it done in about 2 hours minus some breaks.

But the easiest is to pull the tank and replace it. Should not take more than an hour maybe more if your not familiar with the car. I think John has a post on it with some pictures of when he did it. Use the search and you may be able to find it so you can see how it is and whether or not you want to tackle it or leave it up the the mechanic.

Good luck!
Jason

·
Premium Member
26,822 Posts
Hi, all

Ken

Find a 164 Alfa qualified mech for that price or do it yourself. He does not have to pull tank to do job even though that maybe why he is trying to up the cost.

Replacing fuel pump is about a 1.0 hour job if you know what you are doing. Removing tank, replacing pump and internal hoses and reinstalling tank is a 155 minute job 2.5 hour job.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I did it! I'd spent roughly 2.5 hrs, but I finally got the new fuel pump installed....through the trunk. Jason and Steve, thank you for your responds and suggestions.

Also, do you guys know if there is a good alternative fix or gasket for the idle control valve? And where can I get one? The old o-ring is a bid hard and comes off regularly. My temparary fix is a 1/4 inch piece of rubber band. Thanks
Ken
1992 164s

·
Premium Member
9,749 Posts
Yes, I did it! I'd spent roughly 2.5 hrs, but I finally got the new fuel pump installed....through the trunk. Jason and Steve, thank you for your responds and suggestions.

Also, do you guys know if there is a good alternative fix or gasket for the idle control valve? And where can I get one? The old o-ring is a bid hard and comes off regularly. My temparary fix is a 1/4 inch piece of rubber band. Thanks
Ken
1992 164s
I have plenty of the seals in-stock if you need one.
Glad you got it done without paying for the work. You should try to do most of the work yourself. Know how to do the timing belt yet? That is one that will save you some cash as well.
Jason

·
Premium Member
26,822 Posts
Ken
1992 164s
I try to keep a couple of those rubber grommets in stock, too for IAC but usually just wrap grommet with electrical tape to get a good tight fit.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jason, thank you for the offer, but I just got one from autozone today. And no, I've never done a T-belt before, though it would be an eye-opening experience when the time comes. Thanks again guys.
Ken
1992 164S

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
I found my post with the pulled out tank pics. Yes you can do it in the car, I have done it once, no fun and a sore back. Pulling the tank does take more time, but its less aggravating and while you are there you can replace all the rubber vapor lines as well. The big pain is putting in the rear anti sway bar, just kind of a bear to get it to line up with just one person. Pulling the pump out itself is a bear with it in the car because you have to angle it just a certain way before it drops in, then on top of that the furtherst forward allen bolt is hard to tighten up because the access hole is just small enough to make it a pain. Mind you, if you have 1/4 in drive allen sockets then its probably easier. Well here are the pics, hope they help you out, have fun! :)

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164-168-1991-1995/38635-pulled-gas-tank-today-pics.html

1 - 8 of 8 Posts