Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hi Rob i spoke to a mechanic friend of mine and he guessed that its the front of a late model (90s+) gtv/spider/giuletta that has then been bonded onto (i think) a zender gtv6 bumper. :)
i also think the rear is something similar as it has a diffuser which is NOT standard bodykit fare for the GTV6!

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Well....beauty must be in the eye of the beholder because I think those things are hideous. Wow....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I love that bumper up front not sure about the back @bjwhite i understand its down to personal taste i think it gives it a more modern kind of flair to a slightly dated over simplified look. just my interpretation. dont get me wrong, i love my gtv6 the way it is but this has something...

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Now you need to brace yourselves:

A very successfull british GTV6 racer did a very similar thing with the front:

Two reasons were mentioned:

They meant the car needed an update of the front to look more modern.

They also thought that the front of a 147 with Cw 0,32 would be much better then the Cw of the GTV6 2,5 = 0,39.

That being the reason for the updated front! The car would be faster on track!

Judging from the good results from racing it seems the strategy worked and it seems the fellow racers were not scared! So, accomplished!

However for myself I will continue to use the original GTV6 front in racing!

GK.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Now you need to brace yourselves:

A very successfull british GTV6 racer did a very similar thing with the front:

Two reasons were mentioned:

They meant the car needed an update of the front to look more modern.

They also thought that the front of a 147 with Cw 0,32 would be much better then the Cw of the GTV6 2,5 = 0,39.

That being the reason for the updated front! The car would be faster on track!

Judging from the good results from racing it seems the strategy worked and it seems the fellow racers were not scared! So, accomplished!

However for myself I will continue to use the original GTV6 front in racing!

GK.
It's still hideously ugly.
Plus, most aerodynamic drag occurs at the rear of the vehicle, anyways.................. :oops:

And if they genuinely wanted to improve the aero drag, they'd have started by better covering those front tyres leading edges.............. :oops: :oops:

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
He,he, I expected that! :)

I dont know the history behind that front, maybe it was a deliberate choice or maybe the car was just bought like this!

My choice of front will be more like this, just a front dam added with additional splitter.

GK

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess im the minority here :O ahh well, i dunno i like it, @Gabor i dont know, that red car you showed a picture of, your making a joke right? that looks like a car thats been in the sun too long! its hideous. i guess in practical terms it is better though, easier planes to work with and such. but still id never be able justify mounting that on. im surprised upgrading the bumper made that .07 drag difference as i too expected the drag co to be more affected by width aswell as the rear end.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
The red spoiler is a racing part, not for beauty contests! Purpose is to reduce the amount of air getting under the car! Seems to be a good construction as many racers use it, so ultimately I will install it too and experience if there is improvement compared to bumperless original spoiler used presently.

For my road GTV6 all styling remains as from factory - nobody will see its something extra under the bonnet. Well, 3L 200Hp, which is not so overwhelming today at least! :)

GK.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts