Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a recent post that questioned BMW's racing wins. I think the Formula 1 race a couple of weeks ago in Monaco was won by a very pleasant Colombian driver by the name of Juan Pablo Montoya. He drove a fantastic race in his Williams which I believe has a BMW engine.

Yes this is an Alfa Romeo website however, it is quite possible that Alfa's best days are behind them.

Velocess

·
Registered
484 Posts
Not if BMW keeps designing cars like its 7 series! ****, that is one ugly, expensive car. BMW dealers can't seem to keep any inventory on the previous 7 series because as soon as they are returned off lease, they get sucked up. That was an attractive, polished vehicle. This new thing is a technocratic fiasco. The Edsel of the 21st century.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
They may be technically advanced, but the the new 7's and 5's are butt ugly!

Anyone see the movie "The Transporter"? Cool chase scenes in a 735. I think it was a '97 model. Worth a rent.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Many automotive manufacturers have dealt with or had roots in aviation. The blue and white sections of the BMW logo are supposed to depict helicopter blades in motion. Saab is another company that has aviation in its blood. Jet aircraft in particular. During the war, Alfa stopped producing cars and began manufacturing airplane components as well as tanks. However, unlike BMW, Alfa's roots are in automobiles. BMW started with helicopters and then progressed to cars. We don't want to discuss what Daimler-Benz made before cars. Not very nice.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
General

I guess I'm having a hard time with the helicopter thing because there were no helicopters in WWII. It seems that BMW had their badge before helicopters existed.

Velocess

·
Registered
484 Posts
Dear Veloces, I must refer you to a book by Steve Coates, Helicopters of the Third Reich. In addition to being enlightening, it casts a new focus on the importance of the "autogyro". I'm afraid your statement regarding Helicopters and World War 2 (although I never referenced World War 2) is inaccurate. The concept of vertical flight dates back to DaVinci and to the early Chinese. Also, if you really want to be educated, go to any search engine and type in "was Columbus Greek". Believe me, Isabella and Ferdinand were not giving three boats, a lot of men and money to a
lowly wool laborer. He was an accomplished sailor, with connections, because he was a Byzantine Prince. But alas, I digress, the bottom line, if BMW keeps on designing J Lo influenced rear ends on their cars, the only buyer they'll attract is Ben Affleck.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
Actually, general, the BMW logo depicts a rotating aircraft propeller, not helicopter blades. It was inspired after BMW's first aircraft engine; a water cooled straight six cylinder known as the Type IIIa developed in 1917.

I am curious, however, as to what you think the connection between BMW and Columbus is.:p

·
Registered
699 Posts
Hello all,
I don't think anyone will deny the fact that Alfa is not a power in Formula 1. Alfa most likely will not return to Formula 1. Alfa does not have to. They wrote the book. Their successes are legion. They stuck to the fight when the odds (as in Hitler money) were against them. And they won. Often. They will continue to do very well in other venues and the racing battles with BMW will go on. AS for BMW being a force in Formula 1, until they build the whole car, develop the strategy, and hire the drivers and take on responsibilty of the whole cannolli, they are not a Formula 1 company. They are to Formula 1 as Briggs and Stratton is to lawn mowers. Ferrari and Toyota are Formula one builders. Renault will be there soon (again) and I believe that the next real Formula car will be entirely built by are you ready ------------

Chevrolet with help from Roger Penske. Where ever there is a winners circle Chevy wants to be there.
MrC

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
General,

Which war were you referring to when mentioning Alfa making aircraft parts?

Is the BMW badge about helicopters or aircraft propellers?

Velocess

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mr.C

You are spot on about F1 teams. Penske seems like the only American who could pull off a successful U.S. F1 venture. How soon would this be put into motion?

Velocess

·
Registered
484 Posts
There appears to be debate. My sources have told me, with references, that the blades depicted are helicopter (autogyro) blades. I will research and return with the verdict. In any event, aircraft or helicopter, the reference for the blue and white sections is basically the same. Regarding BMW and Columbus, the connection is that Columbus wouldn't be caught dead in one of those wheenie powered, overpriced, plastic coated, J Lo butted, overtechnologized, helicopter badge wearing, krautmobiles. I think if I was playing 7 degrees of seperation, I even made a connection between Columbus and Ben Affleck!!!!!

·
Registered
484 Posts
Regarding Alfa and world war, Mussolini was an alfisti and during the second world war, used alfa's factories for war time manufacturing. I am unaware of any wartime manufacturing during the first world war as Italy was a bystander, however, as global economies are effected during times of war, there may have been some influence even during the first world war. Not sure though.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Good Morning and it is a glorious one here in the Shenadoah valley

Velocess
I am certain that the when of the Chevy/Penske move will not happen untill GM sees what effect the Toyota team has on Toyota.
Toyota is now into all kinds of motor sport and I believe that it will be a big deal with younger drivers of the world. GM cannot depend on the Vette any longer they MUST get to the young customer with entry level vehicles. They are not sure that F1 is the way. Chevy is probably ready. Their advertising is in full swing. So if Toyota Racing Development (tird) looks successful, (oh excuse me that is TRD) it will be a 2005 happening. Give or take a year.

General Sir
The BMW blades are a tie to aeroplane involvement. "Looking through the spinning blades"

No matter what language you speak, live in Italian!
MrC

·
16,232 Posts
For those who have not yet seen the European GP, you may want to scroll past this post.

NEWS FLASH!!!

The European Grand Prix for Formula 1 cars, held at the Nurburgring in Germany, was won by a vehicle powered by an engine produced by the German manufacturer BMW. What makes this stunning, upset victory over the favored Ferrari and faster qualifying Maclaren teams even more remarkable is BMWs lack of any previous racing history. The icing on the cake for BMW, who started life manufacturing aircraft engines some 90 years ago, was that the second place car was also powered by one it's engines.
Details at 11. ;)

·
Registered
699 Posts
I stand comfortably on my original post.
BMW did not win the European Gran Prix Sir Frank Williams and his team did. BMW is only involved in Formula 1 to the extend of building engines. This reguires very little effort compared to building entire car and managing a team. I point you once more to Briggs and Strattons role in mowing lawns. They supply engines. period.
MrC

·
16,232 Posts
Mr. C. said:

BMW did not win the European Gran Prix Sir Frank Williams and his team did.
The news flash doesn't claim BMW won the Euro GP. It says the first two placed vehicles were powered by BMW engines.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Well I am glad we agree that BMW did not win the race and the news bulletin agrees also. The bulletin however was very neglectful in that it did not give credit to Williams.

Bulletin:
The Williams Formula 1 team scored an impressive victory in the European Grand Prix at Nurburgring today. The first place finish was augmented by another Williams team car finishing second.
The Williams team uses Hewlett Packard computers Michelin tires and BMW engines.

That is the way it should be written.
MrC

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Gentlemen,

Details, details, I love them. Mr. C, because writing is the act of revision, would you consider the idea of prominece when making a list? Could the statement be improved in this way:

The Williams race car has a BMW engine managed by Hewlett Packard computers and rides on Michelin tires.

What do you think?

Velocess

1 - 20 of 26 Posts