Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an 87 Veloce that I'm never confident will start. Sometime it fires right up. Other times, you turn the key, hold it and a few seconds later, it starts. Then other times, nothing. The voltage reads right around 12. The PO changed the battery about 2 years ago.

The other day, I got caught in the rain. I got the top up, turned on the A/C, the windshield wipers, the radio, and then turned up the fan and the wipers stopped! If I turned off the fan, the wipers worked.

I don't think the battery is getting drained, it just sometimes needs a little boost...even from a plug in battery charger.

Will a new battery solve my problems? Or does it sound more like an alternator problem? (Please say battery...I know how to change that!!)

Tom

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
'Battery' (does that make you happy?)

Actually it's likely more along the lines of a regulator output or electrical connection issue. (dirty/corroded grounds are pretty high on the list of electrical gremlins)

You can have the battery tested for output easily enough, just take it out and haul it to one of the parts counters for a load test.

Same goes for the alternator once you figure out that there's only a couple bolts and a couple wires actually holding it in. (it's not that big a deal, really, just make sure the battery is disconnected before you start)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Tifosi!! That does make me happier!

Let's suppose the battery is the culprit...(if it doesn't have a "AA" "D" "C" or "9Volt" on it, I'm lost!) ...can I get a "stronger" battery? If so, what do I look for? Where should the volt meter be reading in an ideal situation?

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
Try this.
Remove the battery completely. Take a 13mm wrench and remove the Ground Wire from the mount in the trunk. Take sand paper, or a drill with wire brush on a wheel and clean the cable and the bolt and the surface where the bolt goes. You might take off a little paint, but that's Ok.

Replace the cable tightly, and see what happens. If your battery tray and the area around the battery are corroded from the acid, with the battery out, use some baking soda and water and treat the area and then rinse with water with the drain holes out in the spare tire area. Towel dry, compressed air is nice. It is Ok to do some painting to cover rusty areas but try to wire brush away as much as you can to have clean steel. Make sure that your ground connections are clean with NO paint on the bolt contact area. They do make some electrical connection grease that helps seal the surfaces from water and prevents corrosion.
I'll put my nichol on this and bet that it helps your problem.
Good luck!
Stan

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
There is one more place to clean with the battery disconnected and that is the terminal block on the driver's side inner fender. It should be covered with a squeezie cover. Red wires meet there from the altenator, the starter, and the fuse block. Corrosion there should be treated with a small wire brush
I like to use a drummel. I have also had trouble with the main positive battery cable going to the starter. The main ground strap from the tranny to the body under the right side.
Lots of wires to clean.
Good luck!
Stan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts