·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the right size battery for a 91 164 S ? D

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Most sizes fit, go for a 600cca, not sure what they came with from the factory, interesting to find out.

·
Premium Member
26,999 Posts

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Group size 31. I would get 900 CCA minimum if not higher. Get an AGM from interstate, they have the purest lead content,

·
Premium Member
15,862 Posts
As like Steve, I have no problem with the type 27 battery in the 91S. Still using an old type 27 Kirkland (Costco). Of course, Costco now sells Interstate, so may eventually end up with an Interstate in the future, but it will most likely be the 27. I don't think a bigger battery is needed, esp in mild climates such as the US West Coast, or Australia for that matter.

NY, if it makes you more comfortable about being out in cold winter weather with your 164, go with the type 31.

My LS has a type 31, but I don't think it will be replaced with another. I don't remember, but I think the battery in the Milano isn't even a type 27, something smaller, works fine, something my wife had put in when the old battery died when I was out of town on business.

Keep in mind that a Consumer Reports battery comparison of several years ago tested Interstate and said that there were two type 31 Interstate batteries, one decent, the other not. Don't remember what they said, or what the models were now. Have to look it up.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I installed an Optima red-top, 900 cca I think.

Made up a simple spacer on the bottom with a piece of 2x4. Best battery I ever had, doesn't seem like it knows how old it is.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I use a Type 31 AGM that I got at Batteries Plus (or whatever they are called now). I like AGM batteries for applications in the trunk since they can't leak and you don't have to monitor the acid level. This one is vented and has 900 plus cca, so the car cranks right over...

·
Registered
573 Posts
Petrol cars don't really need huge batteries but it's somewhat of a cheap insurance. Mine has a 75 Ah calcium battery and I have had my car parked in the garage for over a month without losing charge. It cranked right over.

A bigger capacity is also advantageous if you forget your lights on.

·
Premium Member
15,862 Posts
With 164's anyway, the lights go off if you remove the key, as compared to our Milano where they didn't. I did rewire that car so that the lights do go off with the key out. Unfortunately, the lights on the Milano still don't go out when the key is turned to the start position as with the 164. The Milano could use a bigger battery in that case.

·
Registered
573 Posts
With 164's anyway, the lights go off if you remove the key(...)
They don't go out in mine. I imagine it's a later feature as our Jumper truck (rebadged FIAT Ducato) had it.

·
Premium Member
15,862 Posts
Your car is an 88, so I would guess that since mine is a 91, and US delivery, things could indeed be different.

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
If you want a really good type 31 battery, get it from a place that services trucks. They carry heavy duty ones and they fit right in.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Your car is an 88, so I would guess that since mine is a 91, and US delivery, things could indeed be different.
And that's a great feature. I always wanted to install a Citroen type "lights on, door open" warning buzzer as it's a compact relay unit but never got around to it. I have a habit of driving with lights on during the day and I can sometimes forget to turn them off.

Those differences are covered in some wiring diagrams at 164 Register but they're in Dutch and don't come with explanatory notes. Cardisc schematics are much better.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I have a 100Ah calcium battery in mine (24v). Took it out of another 164 being broken. It has to be the biggest battery that can physically fit - longer than the actual tray so might add a bit of wood under it for support, as Denism did. It's a much higher capacity than actually needed but really useful as car hardly driven at the moment and no flat battery issues. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts