Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although I've been very happy with my 164 S that I bought off the BB 2 1/2 years ago, it now needs a battery....Unfortunately the original has been replaced and the replacement looks very tiny...My understanding is that the standard battery was quite big....Need to know the correct battery for my car...1991 164 S....Thanks, Dino

·
Registered
58 Posts
Truck battery

I replace mine in the 94LS for the third time...last year they looked it up and replaced it with a significantly larger (truck) battery that does fit correctly. They should be able to reference it from their charts.
Let me know tomorrow if you cannot find out...5 degrees below here right now.
Regards,

Mike

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Do they still sell vented batteries?

I have not seen any for a few years in Australia, they are all sealed units now.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I replaced mine last summer. The car was new to me and that battery was a Delco and was 10 years old. After calling around for replacements the only place that had them in stock was....wait for it.... Pep Boys. They had 7 of them at the local store but told them I only needed 1, thank you. It was about $140 but I had to by the "converters" that enlarged the two terminals from a very skinny set to more "normal" diameter ones. The cost was less than $10 for that.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
I have the big batteries in both of the 1993 164L's I work on. The last one I bought was NAPA # 7237. It cost $100 in 2010. I just checked price on line, now they are $107.

I think the other Alfa has an Interstate battery.

I think I saw the big 31P at Tractor Supply for $99 recently.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
For the first 15 years I did not believe that the car had a battery! Finally it died and had to be replaced. I took the original Group 31 A/C Delco to their distribution center close by and said "it only lasted 15 years". The A/C Delco guy says "what do you want me to do about it?" I said find me one just like it and he did! Unfortunately the exact replacement battery only lasted 7 years; still about 50% longer than most. The bigger the better (more CCA's) -when it comes to batteries.
Mark

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
This has been workng for me. Just another option I guess. Some of the ones previously mentioned have some serious cranking amps! Tim the tool man style. MORE POWER!

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts