Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1989 Spider Quad. I don't have a red cap at all on one of the battery terminals, but there is a black cap on the other terminal. The black capped terminal has an extra wire and is connected to the positive terminal on the battery. I am confused. I thought a black colored terminal was negative and a red terminal positive. My question: Which car battery terminal is positive the one near the front of the car next to the antenna or to the tail of the car? Help

·
Registered
22 Posts
So long as they did not turn the battery around, the one at the back of the car is ground.

The ground cable should be bolted to the body of the car right by the battery.
The positive cable will run forward from the battery.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Trace the supposed negatice cable. If it's like my 86 Quad it should be bolted to the body in the trunk just about a foot from the battery. The negative is always connected to the body/frame. Never the positive.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. Looks like the previous owner put a black battery terminal cover on the positive terminal--go figure. Good thing I asked you folks or I would have shorted out the whole darn system. Live and learn and always ask the experts. Thanks again. Gina

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Tip from an old timer:

Take a dab of glue, caulk anything sticky and cement a copper penny or two on the top of the battery near the + terminal. You will never be have the need to clean corroded battery terminals again. Ever

·
Registered
202 Posts
Another old timer tip, to be sure that penny goes in the right place use a multimeter, take the red and black probes and contact the battery posts, doesnt matter which way round they go. If the meter goes +12.7V you got it right, the red probe is on the + post, if it goes -12V then its the other way around.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Tip from an old timer:

Take a dab of glue, caulk anything sticky and cement a copper penny or two on the top of the battery near the + terminal. You will never be have the need to clean corroded battery terminals again. Ever
Is that your two cents worth? It has to be a pre-1982 penny for this to work as the new ones are a just copper plated (97.5% zinc/2.5% copper).

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hey! Guys, Sandy came up with a good story, dont let facts get in the way of a good story. :wink2:

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Hey! Guys, Sandy came up with a good story, dont let facts get in the way of a good story. :wink2:
Thanks, it has saved me from cleaning battery terminals for 40+ years

and being broke down

BTW, Not sure of the metallurgy, I simply reach in my pocket, if it looks like a penny, it works

1 - 12 of 12 Posts