Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1978 Spider
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use battery tenders on lots of my bikes and cars. But I've always hooked the pig tails to the battery under the hood. Since the Alfas have the battery in the trunk, does anyone used the positive terminal under the hood? The one on the driver's fender that all the constant 12V wires go to?

If I attach directly to the battery then I would have to leave the trunk open or figure out how to run the pigtail out under the fender of something.

·
Push hard and live
9,599 Posts
I connected my tender wire to the B+ terminal on my car’s regulator, which itself is connected to the B+ terminal on the alternator, and thus onward to the battery.

The current from a tender is very low, so the wire size is not a problem.

I dropped the plug for the tender down, hanging just below the front valence near the radiator. Easy to reach under the front without having to open anything.

·
Registered
1978 Spider
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well, not able to leave the trunk open. under hood is preferred in my case. It's a trickle charger anyway.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
There's no problem with closing the trunk or hatchback on those small leads... after all you got a collapsible rubber seal there along the edge, right? I've done it that way for years with my Spider, and with my son's GTV 6. Just keep it away from the latch mechanism.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I don’t often have anything to add to a discussion and happy to be able to offer any help at this point.
I’ll throw another “in the trunk” on the pile.

The PO had a dedicated connector (using ring terminals?) attached for the battery.

Then the unit has a quick connector to attach to the charger.

Ex:

The cable is so thin that I leave it plugged in and close the trunk on it, w/o latching, and it’s been fine.

Trunk light isn’t on, no damage to wires, full battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
250 Posts
Just attach it to the battery in the trunk, and close the lid. That's what I've done for many years without any problems.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I used a Battery Tender (BT) and attached 2 leads to the + and - poles of my battery with a standard B T lead extender; I connected the BT leads to the BT and closed the trunk. No problem, but no light in the trunk of my 65 Giulia spider.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Battery Tender Junior or the Battery Tender plus - what is the recommendation for an 89 Quadrifoglio? Or is there a better recommendation as I have never used one?

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
wouldn't worry about the trunk light too much....
....that'll only stay on if you leave the lights on 😆

·
Registered
359 Posts
I think the Battery Tender has a 10 year warranty and the BT Junior a 5 year warranty. I use the Battery Tender. I have had one fail and the manufacturer has replaced it for a shipping fee of $15.xx. There is another battery maintainer out there that is more expensive that people tout, but I cannot remember the brand name. Lots of help huh.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I use battery tenders on lots of my bikes and cars. But I've always hooked the pig tails to the battery under the hood. Since the Alfas have the battery in the trunk, does anyone used the positive terminal under the hood? The one on the driver's fender that all the constant 12V wires go to?

If I attach directly to the battery then I would have to leave the trunk open or figure out how to run the pigtail out under the fender of something.
I have 10 cars With batteries in the trunk or under the hood. Takes about 1 minute to connect and disconnect and away I go. I would not introduce any additional wiring because this allows for an additional point of failure . Some period rolls and bentleys had disconnects in the trunk, but those were e trembly high quality. Cheers, Jon ‘67 duetto spider

1 - 19 of 19 Posts