Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Battery Recommendation

4K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  johnpery 
#1 ·
I currently have a good opportunity to replace the battery in my GTV race car. It's now located in the right rear seat and I was thinking of putting in one of the really lightweight motorcycle batteries, like "Alien Motion".

Any recommendations?

Thanks.

#2 ·
I use an Odyssey battery in my MGA. I do have an alternator to keep it charged. It has plenty of oomph to start my medium high compression (10.5:1) engine.

Odyssey Batteries

Attachments

#3 ·
Odyssey PC680. Have had one for 8 years with benign neglect and it still works. Mine is on a generator. A cut-off switch is your friend.

If you are in a high heat environment use the metal case option - not likely near the back seat. Can be had with automotive terminals or MC ones - take your pick.

#6 ·
#7 ·
Many of the Alfa Racers use a small Japanese one that is OE on fork lift trucks but it may not be powerful enough for night driving. I use a regular Bosch from an S3 Spider but I have a small crank pulley from Gordon Raymond that reduces the speed of both the alternator and the water pump. That makes pump cavitation less likely and reduces the stress on the alternator at high rpm and probably reduces the power consumption of them.

#8 · (Edited)
I use the Oddyssey PC680, but lighter options are now available in the form or Lithium Iron batteries. I use an Antigravity battery in my large displacement motard race bike, lights it right off, and weighs next to nothing. They're expensive, though, especially in car applications.

For alternators, a race car doesn't need more than a couple dozen amps. I use this:NEW ALTERNATOR CHEVY MINI DENSO STREET ROD RACE 3-WIRE ND100211-1670 12190N | eBay

I run it with a larger alternator pulley, and a smaller crank pulley.

But I can't get these alternators to last more than a couple/few seasons. I've been through two in six or seven years. So I always keep a spare in the trailer. Cheap enough to do so. Also, the mounting lugs don't line up right, so I mill them down to fit.

#12 ·
I have had a PC680 in my GTA w/ original starter and generator and it has lasted 10+ years and a Braille B2015 rear mounted in my Giulia TI rally car w/ gear reduction starter and alternator that didn't quite last as long.

Neither of them have huge capacity for total loss ignition but I suspect that you'll be happy with either for your application.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.