Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does battery polarity matter in a Montreal?

I've taken off leads to charge and now can't remember how it was. I have a thicker all black lead and a thinner lead with a yellow pigtail thingy on the end. Neither is marked with a positive or negative. Both cables will reach either terminal.

Thanks for any help.

·
Push hard and live
9,595 Posts
Yes, it matters a great deal, just like with all cars. You would likely do a fair amount of damage by hooking things up in reverse.

·
Super Moderator
10,586 Posts
I have a thicker all black lead and a thinner lead with a yellow pigtail thingy on the end. Neither is marked with a positive or negative.
My guess would be that the lead with the yellow pigtail would be the "+". But you would be nuts to hook your battery up based on my guess. What you need to do is trace those two cables: one should bolt to the body (that's the ground or "-"), while the other should go to the starter solenoid (that's the "+"). Until you are sure which is which, don't connect the battery, because as DPeterson3 says, it matters a great deal.

·
Push hard and live
9,595 Posts
The brevity of my reply was to encourage you to search out first-order knowledge, not quickie comments here. I applaud you for owning a Montreal. However, you should probably not attempt ANY maintenance on it without significant skills. Not knowing + from - is sort of disqualifying.

I promise you, I intend no insult. You have a special car. We do not wish to read about its demise in flames.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The brevity of my reply was to encourage you to search out first-order knowledge, not quickie comments here. I applaud you for owning a Montreal. However, you should probably not attempt ANY maintenance on it without significant skills. Not knowing + from - is sort of disqualifying.

I promise you, I intend no insult. You have a special car. We do not wish to read about its demise in flames.
Thanks. No insult taken. I actually would not take advice from someone who had said it does NOT matter - a kinda lame attempt at weeding out certain advice.

I've since located the negative ground to the body. At first it seemed to go along the body, but it actually looped underneath the carpet. I'm not sure if it's stock, but it seems unnaturally long for what it was designed for. As far as my skills, I've done a fair amount of work on my Spider and even my old 164, but I admit I'm much more intimidated by this machine. I certainly will not be attempting any engine work any time soon. :)

·
Push hard and live
9,595 Posts
The Montreal is very much a 105 car, and actually no more complicated than a similar-year four cylinder Alfa.

My recollection is that the ground wire bolted to the side of the battery box, and did not run off under the trunk carpet.

If your car has not been buggered by a PO, the cable ends are different sizes for the different diameter posts on the battery. They should fit only one way, unless someone has installed goofy cable ends. You can test fit each in turn, not at the same time, to see how they fit. Confirming which is the ground wire by where it terminates is the best method.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts