Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided against winterizing my Quad for the winter as there will be plenty of road salt free days ahead. To preserve the battery, I recently purchased and installed a trickle charger that has a direct connection to the battery.(Battery Tender plus)

Since the battery is in the trunk and I keep my car covered in the garage with a "Dustop" cover, would it be wise to consider leaving the trunk propped open an inch or two to allow for some air circulation? I've read about gas build up and the like and don't need to blow the house up.

I'll be adding MMO to the tank and crank but other than that, no plans to put her to sleep for the Winter.

Anyone have experience with this ?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
Whenever I've done this with my Sprint Veloce (battery also in the trunk) - I've left it open for air circulation. Can't hurt, right? I had visions of blowing up the garage if I left it closed, and figured better safe than sorry!

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
When charging a battery continuously (the conventional way), you are supposed to allow for air circulation at all times. Of course, with a trickle charger, the charge is not continuous. Since one can't be expected to monitor an on/off charge, the only option I see is to leave the trunk a bit open, for as long as the trickle charger is plugged in.

Something else you may want to consider is a simple battery post disconnect. That's is what I've been using for years on all the Spiders and they work well. I use the type that disconnects all power, so I do have to reset the clock and radio, but it doesn't bother me at all.

Best regards,

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Battery Charging & Hydrogen Gas Discharge

I would always recommend erroring on the side of safety and provide ventilation when charging a lead acid battery. A by-product of charging process is the build up and discharge of hydrogen gas, a volatile gas. Given size & volume of a car battery, it's rarely an issue, but ventilation is always good.

A side note...
I work in the telecomm industry where Central Offices & Mobile Switching Centers (mobile phone provider equivalent) have huge banks of massive lead acid battery strings. While trully "a horse of a different color" given size, quantity, and amperage of systems...I have seen pictures of exploded battery rooms, where there was neither proper ventilation nor hydrogen warning sensors to alert of pending disaster. The distruction was quite amazing.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your input fellas!!!

I've taken your advice and have left an opening in the trunk of a few inches to circulate some air. I do keep my Dustop on but keep one of the back corners loose to allow the trunk to open a bit.

Enrique - I replaced both battery terminals and also picked up one of those quick disconnect for the - terminal. Between the battery terminal disconnect and the tender I think I'll be in good shape. Wish there was a better way to deal with the clock/radio memory but I'll trade that for the juice I need to start her up.

Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
I think a wise idea in the winter is to remove the battery from the engine compartment and then put it on a battery tender rather than leaving it in the car. If the battery stops taking a charge and freezes, I'd hate to think of the aftereffect of the battery acid on metal.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
At what point does a battery freeze? I've left the battery in the car in an unheated garage over the winter where the outside temperature stayed below -20F for weeks on end, occasionally dropping to -40F and never had a problem starting the car in the spring. Sometimes I would have to put the charger on it for an hour before it would start, but often it would just crank over and start in the spring.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
What I'm saying is that doesn't a battery at the end of its life and discharged - not able to take a charge - wouldn't that freeze?
A good battery wouldn't freeze but my point is that a bad one would - and while not monitoring it on a daily basis, you potentially could be in trouble. No?

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
I live in the Toronto area now, and the car is in an attached garage now (still unheated) so it isn't as much of a concern to me. The battery in the White GTV is at least 6 years old so I'll see what it's like when I try to start the car in the spring.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts