Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finaly got the 1959 101 Sprint Normale I have owned for 5 years running. (It's been over 30 years since the last time that happened). The question of what battery to use has now come up. I believe Interstate makes one that fits, however, I remember hearing about new batteries that are made with a vintage look.

It is a very original and complete car that has undegone mechanical restoration only. The body actually still has about 90% of it's original factory paint and has never been re-sprayed, so a vintage looking battery would be more in keeping with the battle worn look of this old Sprint. I have two questions.

What is the best battery for a 101 Sprint Normale?

Does anybody know who makes a new vintage looking battery that will fit this car?

Thanks, NS

·
Premium Member
3,275 Posts

·
Administrator
4,044 Posts
Giulietta Battery solution

The Giulietta battery should have a rubber cover over the top of it, so it is possible to "hide" a more modern battery in the boot.

Alfa engines don't like little batteries, buy the biggest you can get to fit into the battery tray - make sure the terminals are on the correct side. Only buy a black casing battery. Warm the manufacurers label up with a hair drier & stick it on the reverse side of the battery, facing the inner wing.

Buy one of Bill Gillham's 101 decal kits and attach the Magneti Marelli decal to the visible side of the battery. (Bill also has 750 Normale & Veloce decal sets available)

There are other decal offerings out there, but Bill is the Giulietta Guru & I would trust his stuff over the others.

Bill Gillham = [email protected]

Ciao
Greig

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
New SAFA Battery Decal

At the urging of Donald Schwarzkopf I have created a SAFA Battery Decal to duplicate the one shown in the Road and track photo of the trunk of their test subject Sprint Speciale.

If any of you Concours / Originality types are interested in purchasing
one please contact me off line. I still have complete decal kits for
750 and 101 cars also. I have quit selling them on ebay so the only way
to get them is contact me.

Ciao,
Bill Gillham

·
Registered
482 Posts
Thanks for the mention, Bill.

Here's the photo from R&T that has served as the basis for Bill's artistry.

The battery in my newly-acquired SS (which Bill completed in 2005, which took best Alfa at Concorso Italiano that year, and which is pictured at the bottom of Grieg's post) is a black-cased Group 35, available anywhere for much less than specialty vintage batteries. It had Bill's Magneti Marelli sticker on it, but then I found the R&T article and developed a preference for SAFA, a supplier used in Alfas and Ferraris (at least) back into the 50s. Parker Hall at Kilimanjaro Designs can supply other SAFA stickers more appropriate to Ferraris and 1900 Alfas.

Don

Attachments

·
Administrator
4,044 Posts
Welcome aboard the BB Don

Time for a few pictures of your SS......... don't forget a close-up shot of the battery.

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
482 Posts
Thanks very much Greig. I've greatly enjoyed your interesting and authoritative posts while lurking. With generous advice from Bill I'm still working through issues from the car's three year slumber since Concorso, but hope to attend an event or two next year which will yield photo opportunities.

Best regards,
Don

1 - 8 of 8 Posts