Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the last several years I ran with an Optima battery. I was told that a special type of battery tender was needed for it. Consequently, I purchased one. Can I use this on a regular type battery for winter storage? Thank you.

Mark

·
Registered
7,546 Posts
Interested in this as well.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I've been using the Optima (red top) battery for years and will occasionally charge it with both a Schumacher or Deltran Battery Tender Plus type chargers. No issues...so far.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I don't have an Optima battery, but if by battery tender you mean a CTEK type charger where you let it top up the battery over the winter, it should do it. I have an AGM battery in my daily driver which it covers nicely.

·
Registered
132 Posts

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
I’ve been using a small 0.75 amp Battery Tender trickle charger on an Odyssey AGM battery for over 10 years. Battery seems to work as new. In that same span of time I’ve gone thru two conventional batteries on another classic car, also maintained with the same model chargers. I used to have a Ctek for yet another old car but it failed (burned internally) after 2 years.

I have had zero problems in 10 years with both Battery Tender and Schumacher smart chargers (I use them at the track, to maintain my trailer battery over the winter and on a small group of classic cars.

BTW, I have had terrible luck with Optima batteries going bad after one or two deep discharges, and now exclusively use Odyssey batteries as they seem to tolerate going way down in charge without lasting harm.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts