Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Custom European bumpers?? Looks like painted stock federalized bumpers to me. If he was going to spend that kind of money on restoration of this car, why didn't he put the stainless bumpers on? And those seats. Ugh.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Rots a Ruck .... I mean its clean... but as others pointed out Custom bumpers, gimme a break. As for the engine, I'ld rather have a shorty 6 or even a small block V8.. its been done.

KKKKFL

·
Push hard and live
10,191 Posts
We were at BJ yesterday. The world makes no sense. Citroen 2CV goes for over $20k, and a beautiful 1991 Bentley sedan for $12,500. Too many Corvettes and Camaros for my taste, so we're going over to RM today and watch them auction the 3500GTi that they figure will bring less than I have dumped into my 102 restoration. Sigh.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
When it comes to customized cars, it is difficult to find a buyer whose taste matches that of the seller, and even more so, a group of buyers... I'll be surprised if this one goes for much more than its opening bid...

Best regards,

·
Registered
7,166 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
(I wonder if the rag down by the steering box comes with it)
Maybe it's there to hide the crack in the steering box that resulted from parallel parking with those massive tires. ;) Incorrect description aside, I like the color matching bumpers, just don't know how long that paint would last in the real world. With different seats and wheels (I like the look, they're just too big) I'd give it points up on most other series 2 spiders I've seen. Does the auction state the opening bid? I didn't see it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Sale Price including buyer's commission: $13,750.00

Sounds like a pretty strong price, but I'm guessing a decent amount of time and money went into getting the car to it's hotrodded-out looking state.

For my money, though, I'd prefer a nicely prepared, stock-looking '74 and earlier Spider.

·
Super Moderator
11,137 Posts
For my money, though, I'd prefer a nicely prepared, stock-looking '74 and earlier Spider.
Amen to that. You'd have to "grease some palms" to register that thing in this state. Webers, missing air pump, and tube headers would be a no-no for a 1978 model car.

Tifosi said:
(I wonder if the rag down by the steering box comes with it)
My guess is that the master cylinder is leaking. Leave a rag soaked with brake fluid next to an exhaust manifold, and you're in for some excitement!

Bill S said:
Does the auction state the opening bid?
$13,750. Certainly that's < the cost of a professionally built engine, wheels, fresh paint, racing seats, etc.

You'd think Schnell Racing would have had an earlier cam cover lying in their parts bin - why bother polishing a '78 cover with a busted pair of those white nylon air hose clips pop riveted on?

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
5-speed fully synchronized gearbox

Alfa Romeo's have a fully synchronized gearbox?.........:D

·
Registered
2,371 Posts

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Sounds like we have a bunch of purists here:(

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,546 Posts
x2 on the cam cover, why not just polish an eariler one and get rid of the rivits and plastic?

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
..........sold, Sold, SOLD for $13,750!!!!

Anyone want to buy my 86? Shankle Stage 3, 7L cams.....headers......springs......shocks...PanaSports

Hello.....Anybody?!?!

;)

·
Registered
147 Posts
BJ is a strange place. Mostly muscle cars and street rods, I have to admit I now DVR it and fast forward through much of the telecases (I mean, how many Corvettes and Mustangs do you want to see in one sitting?). For entertainment value, I must prefer watching RS or Mecum.

At one time, if you were looking for out-of-the-mainstream foreign iron BJ occasionally had some fairly good deals. But it seems everything there has taken on a life of its own.

Do you suppose a lot of these buyers, especially the newer ones, are in part buying bragging rights ("I bought my car at BJ!" "Cool!").

1 - 20 of 22 Posts