Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Lovely!

Will that long board bolted into the rafter structure really compensate for the columns that were cut away. I would hate to see anyone (or any car) hurt because of a structure collapse.

(Sorry, all I do all day is "what if" for a large Property Insurance company)

·
Out of the office!
11,667 Posts
Lovely!

Will that long board bolted into the rafter structure really compensate for the columns that were cut away. I would hate to see anyone (or any car) hurt because of a structure collapse.

I suspect that is why someone added that rather long glue lam beam. However, it doesn't look heavy enough and, only two screws per attachment point just doesn't look right.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lovely!

Yeah I've often wondered about that myself but it's been that way for about 20 years and no evidence yet of sagging etc.

·
Premium Member
5,476 Posts
That is one clean barn! I was pulling cars out of barn in Lansing last summer. Every surface was covered in about 2" of bat guano - all I could do not to puke...

I also thought about the structural integrity of the floor of this old barn with a half dozen cars and as many tractors (not to mention the guano ...) but the barn is over a hundred years old and still standing so I guess it's proved its mettle. Still I was happy to get out of there...

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is one clean barn! I was pulling cars out of barn in Lansing last summer. Every surface was covered in about 2" of bat guano - all I could do not to puke...

I also thought about the structural integrity of the floor of this old barn with a half dozen cars and as many tractors (not to mention the guano ...) but the barn is over a hundred years old and still standing so I guess it's proved its mettle. Still I was happy to get out of there...
That Junior Z is looking a bit tatty....know any good painters in the Detroit area? 🤣

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Any of those "barn finds" for sale?
They could be, but they belong to my 95 year old father and he's not sure if he wants to part with any of them. This is also just part of the Alfa collection as there are two other buildings full of cars. List of Alfas:

1957 Giulietta Spider Normale
1958 Giulietta Spider Normale (pictured. Rough shape)
1958 Giulietta Sprint Normale
1960 2000 Spider
1964 2600 Spider
1971 Junior Zagato
1974 2000 GTV
1977 Alfetta GTV

·
Registered
38 Posts
Lovely!

They didn't like my scenarios and even more when they occurred.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Nice Jr. Z. Always wanted a Fulvia Sport, but this Z would do just fine...

Every summer we spend time on the west coast of Michigan, at the cottage on the Lake that my wife and her sisters inherited from their grandparents, for the solitude, the beach, and the cherries. Cell phones don't work. Truly, heaven on earth. Still have some dirt roads left, too, though we try to respect the cows, and the farmers. She learned to drive on them at 13.

There's quite a few old barns left, including some barely above horizontal, in our area (Stony Lake/Claybanks), but I doubt there are any old Alfas in any of them. What other old Italians does your father have in his barns, aside from the Fiat?

·
Registered
199 Posts
What a lovely barn! I have a 90 year old father in law who is of the same mentality when it comes to his cars! You got to love their long term vision! The Z looks awesome......as does the pretty Fiat 500 its been sharing a barn with all these years!..... Sure there are no baby Lancia's running around in there too somewhere! :)

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What a lovely barn! I have a 90 year old father in law who is of the same mentality when it comes to his cars! You got to love their long term vision! The Z looks awesome......as does the pretty Fiat 500 its been sharing a barn with all these years!..... Sure there are no baby Lancia's running around in there too somewhere! :)
There are two Flaminia GTs in next building, coupe and convertible

1 - 20 of 21 Posts