Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'91 164L, 226K - I was hoping to take this car to my grave, I have loved it for the last 10 years.

The interior fan hadn't been working, and summer is coming, so I tried a different A/C Control Unit. I had checked just about everything else, found a loose connection under the left front vent, brown and yellow wire, not part of a bundle, Didn't solve initial problem, but worse, now she won't start! And the new and reinstalled old controller both say it's -40F outside, something totally new.

Initially got 4-4-4-4 from Motronic after first few failed starts. I disconnected battery for a minute, tried again. Got 1-2-4-3 and 1-2-2-2, so Checked all fuses, etc, all seems fine. I disconnected for the night, simply shocked. Next day all I got was 4-4-4-4s, over and over. Starter turns, but there's no glimmer of hope she'll catch and fire up. Not even one "chug".

For all my tries, no fuel smell from the exhaust. So I pulled random plugs, they were dry. No real pressure in fuel line at the injector rails, just some drips. The error codes that I got once are for two relays that are somewhat connected, according to wiring diagram. I've started Motronic troubleshooting from Cardisc. Several diagrams won't print, a problem with Win XP, making gremlin chasing that much tougher.

My thoughts are fuel pump, pump relay, or the Motronic Control Unit. No hint of problems before hand, good performance and fuel mileage. Does a pump just suddenly die without any warning? Can anyone please suggest or cite similar experiences for me to consider before I have to throw more time and money (that I don't have) at the problem?

Many Thanks - DM
91 164L - 226K
86 GTV6 - 209K
87 Milano Gold - RIP

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
yeah mine died

out of the blue one day

go to the relay and jump it to see if you can get the pump to turn on

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately, I'm an architect, making me a frustrated engineer in waiting. I'll get a crash course on reading relay schematics, unless you remember the wire (colors) to jump. Thanks for suggestion!

DM

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
DM,

Try looking through this thread: Electrical Diagrams to see if you can find one for your 164. If not send a PM to "PAPAJAM" to see if has one available.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts