Alfa Romeo Forums banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1982 GTV6
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I have just tested two bell housings both are aluminium as per the method in this link, can anyone else replicate my test as a 'per review' so to speak
Just tried a little white vinegar on the bell housing that arrived today, and got no reaction. :unsure:

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Nice!

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Definitely the easier way to do that job!

·
Registered
1982 GTV6
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I think it's very likely both magnesium and aluminum versions have been used. Probably in later years a switch to aluminum was made, for cost reasons.
I got the cracked bellhousing back. I tried the vinegar test on it. I can confirm that it reacted, so it was definitely magnesium.

The used replacement that I got from the recycler in Virginia came from a 1987 Milano. So at some point they updated the part for magnesium to aluminum.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I hope you don't throw it away. There are people who can weld it. Parts are getting rarer.
BTW: is the weight difference noticeable?

·
Registered
1982 GTV6
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
BTW: is the weight difference noticeable?
You had to ask. It took me 20 minutes to get the press-fit starter bolt out just to do an apples-to-apples weight comparison (both of these had the motor mount in, and the magnesium one has a little bit of grinding where it was cracked).

The weight is definitely noticeable. 1.5kg difference!

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Amber Automotive lighting Rim
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Helmet Bumper Automotive lighting

·
Registered
416 Posts
Racers take note: 3.3 lbs (I made conversion to US English) can be meaningful.
I wonder what year was the changeover to aluminum?
I also suspect the early cars had magnesium lower sumps.

·
Registered
1982 GTV6
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
That, I can check too. Somebody from the forum wants the oil pan from the old engine. I'll test and confirm.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Wow! That's excellent. Probably the best way to test, is to weigh them against each other, as its noticeably different.

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Only the early GTV6 came with the Mag alloy parts in my observation. I seem to recall an early GTV6 brochure that touted quite a lot of Mag parts.

For a street car, you will prefer the aluminum alloy versions...I converted a couple of 3.0 GTV6 to aluminum alloy versions.

For cracked/separated Mag alloy parts, there are certain adhesives/structural epoxy that can be used if you stop crack propagation.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Only the early GTV6 came with the Mag alloy parts in my observation. I seem to recall an early GTV6 brochure that touted quite a lot of Mag parts.
Hmm, seems like some evil marketing strategy.
I vaguely recall Corvettes (C6?) having titanium exhaust, but they didn't for the entire production run.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts