·
Registered
1,386 Posts
No - you will not have a balance issue.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I agree Mr Toro
I have had three engines in my GTV6, the original engine came out for a fresh 2.5 then a rebuilt 3L went in, three different fly wheels with no change to the balance of the Dhaft so I feel the front should be OK.
I would put the Dshaft back in the car it should be fine. I have had the Dshaft out of my car 9 or 10 times over the past 20 years for engine and coupling or center bearing replacement. I have always made sure the two sections of the drive shaft went back in their original positions and so far I have had no issues.
I also permanently mark all the driveshaft positions with a center punch.
Cheers

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Both shafts are individually balanced. As long as the yokes are aligned and the driveshaft joints are greased you should be ok. Good luck

·
Registered
1982 GTV6
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Thanks. I got the flex disc kit from Centerline (front, center, and rear). It also comes with a center support and bearing.

I've been through the shop manual a few times and can/t find a group/section that covers the procedure for the driveshaft center support and bearing,. From the forum, I know I need a 32mm deep well (perhaps with the outer diameter turned down) and some kind of puller/press, but where in the manual does the procedure appear? Group 15 has three pages total: 15-1 is the cover sheet, 15-2 is grease/torque specs for for the discs and center bearing nuts, and 15-3 is the special tools table. But there are no diagrams or instructions.

I'm wondering if I even need to take this on. The rubber in the support looks fine. I'm thinking I'll put in the discs and leave the bearing alone for now.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Thanks. I got the flex disc kit from Centerline (front, center, and rear). It also comes with a center support and bearing.

I've been through the shop manual a few times and can/t find a group/section that covers the procedure for the driveshaft center support and bearing,. From the forum, I know I need a 32mm deep well (perhaps with the outer diameter turned down) and some kind of puller/press, but where in the manual does the procedure appear? Group 15 has three pages total: 15-1 is the cover sheet, 15-2 is grease/torque specs for for the discs and center bearing nuts, and 15-3 is the special tools table. But there are no diagrams or instructions.

I'm wondering if I even need to take this on. The rubber in the support looks fine. I'm thinking I'll put in the discs and leave the bearing alone for now.
The center support bearing and mount is not a bad job, my son and I did it (along with info from the old GTV 6 site and this forum), and it went fine. We also replaced the front giubo at the time. I didn't even have a hydraulic press in my garage, only hand tools, pullers and a big vise. Just watch your disassembly and reassemble in reverse. Now is the time to do it! (y) (y)

I will say we have an '86, with the removable support bracket, though.

·
Registered
1982 GTV6
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Dammit. I had the car under a car cover (just a Budge fabric cover). The cover got stolen last night, and in the process they broke off the driver side mirror. :mad::cry:.

I have plans to add a 2-car garage, but the timing on the car just came up first. I guess this is Exhibit C as to why we should actually build it.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Ouch! The old Vitaloni cracked mirror base issue. I did successfully use JB Weld to repair one like that, and then I fitted a bit smaller spring, and was very careful when I put it all back together and tightened up the big hex nut. It's fine, still on the car. It just needs enough spring tension not to fold in at 100 mph! :LOL: :LOL:

·
Registered
749 Posts
I cant see any other damage in the photo, could it have been hit by a broken giubo? if you don't have a spare you will need to have that repaired

·
Registered
419 Posts
I think this part is magnesium, does anybody know for sure? It seems very light. Anyways, keep this in mind (whatever material it is) when welding

·
Registered
1982 GTV6
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I switched over the water pump and installed new gaskets including the upper/lower gaskets for the thermostat housing.

Could use help on sealing up the tensioner. I found the old engine to have:
  • an o-ring on the oil feed, in a hole in the plate behind the tensioner
  • an o-ring on the FRONT of the erratic bearing component
  • a snap ring the BACK of the bearing component

Whereas the donor engine has:
  • a lot of red RTV on both sides of the plate. It still has the o-ring where the oil feed goes in.
  • an o-ring on the BACK of the bearing
  • nothing but the washer on the FRONT of the bearing (no o-ring)

Anyone know the proper location/order of o-rings?

After the tensioner and timing belt go on, it's on to the valve cover/spark gaskets and the rear seal. Then the upper and lower sump gaskets.

I also have new engine mounts coming and the giubos and center bearing to replace

And hopefully I can get the cracked bell housing welded. I have a friend looking at it. If not, it's JB weld and a prayer.

At some point, the donor engine goes in the car!

Also, my uncle (the one who gave me the car) is working on milling a new driver door handle pull:

Water Building House Naval architecture Rectangle

He has a motorcycle components business--mostly making stuff for vintage BSA/Triumph speed triples--but I told him there might be a market for fabbed Alfa doodads!

21 - 40 of 58 Posts