Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
instead of the stock ' bucket ' piston, to me is looks as a better way to control oil pressure, the ball bearing would be self cleaning, as in a small partical of grit would not stop the ball bearing from opening and closeing, the stock ' bucket' piston could be stopped open or closed because of grit.. and have any of you done this?

·
Registered
149 Posts
This sounds like a very good idea to me. I have seen ball bearings in applications like these before (I am thinking of the front fork pressure relief on my old Bultaco Matador) and assume Alfa had a reason for going to the more complex piston design. Does anyone know?

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
This has been around Alfas for decades. A few suppliers did/do(?) provide kits. Contact Gordon Raymond (on the BB), who rebuilds Alfa oil pumps to perfection and knows a great deal about the pros/cons and history of this mod.

Robert

·
Super Moderator
11,587 Posts
I know quite a bit about this modification. If anyone wants to send me a PM with your e-mail address I'll be happy to discuss this privately. I will not argue about this modification on the BB. I have built many pumps that uses this system, but only one worked correctly at all engine speeds. That pump required over 100 hours of labor to make it work as it should. I will not build another, and the one functional example now hangs on the wall of my shop with other "failed-ideas".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts