Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a newly acquired 1978 Spider with a side window that doesn't want to go up and down 'properly' (only with help). Upon removal of interior door panel it's obvious that the window cable is off the two lower pulleys and the top pulleys as well. Anyone help with cable routing instructions? Don't see any breaks in the cable, just appears to not be on the pulleys correctly. Lower pulley bracket is very loose; is it supposed to be adjusted and tightened? See pics.
Thanks..

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,066 Posts
One of the top pulleys is mounted in a slotted hole. This allows for tension adjustment. Loosen the pulley's mounting bolt, slide it to the loosest position, get the cable back onto all the pulleys then re-tension the cable. Probably a good time to add some oil to the pulley axles, too.

If you have difficulty at either extreme (fully open or fully closed) you likely need to adjust the position of the window at the 'window to cable' clamps. Loosen those bolts, move the winder to re-position where the window clamps to the cables.

See: Cables Too Tight

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the diagram and the info. I saw this in a thread with regard to electric windows, so wondered if it applied to a manual crank setup. But the pulley count is right; I'll give it a go. A little puzzled however, since the cable appears to be a continuous loop, i.e. no hand crank winder.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts