Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We seem to have an interloper giving bad attitude on the following thread:

"Technical Forums/Engine Conversions/ "New Turbo GTV (crazy car)"

Would it be appropriate to delete this thread?

Robert

·
Registered
11,654 Posts
Agree.

I'd also like the whole Engine Conversion section removed ...

Why people buy Alfa Romeos when they think they are **** is beyond me?. Heck I don't buy cars that I think are so **** that I need to replace the running gear with another brand. It is the ultimate insult, and yet we condone it on this site. Yes I know it is their car but we are supposed to be Alfisti!!! ... or are we now just trying to get a high number of hits?, thus the point of this place has long gone :(:(

Is this an Alfa Romeo enthusiast site or a place to come and [email protected] on the obviously stupid people that buy them?, cause that is what it is turning into.

A Ferrari or Ducati site for example never has a whole section set aside encouraging the fncking up of their favourite marque ... yes it happens but it's never encouraged like we do here. I'm starting to think there are only about 10 true Alfisti members on this site ... the rest think it's some sort of joke. If it's only a car, why did you hunt out an internet site about them, join a car club, etc. I also own a Toyota, and I don't belong to www .Toyotabb .com, I don't belong to a club BECAUSE that car is only a car!. So lets show some respect and return to being enthusiasts please.

Really disappointed.
Pete

·
Registered
561 Posts
I have read the thread, and it took all my willpower to not write a snarky remark to that guy. I dont like these engine conversions ( twin sparks excluded ) and butchery of a classic gtv either, and his attitude rubs me the wrong way. That being said you guys are feeding the troll by responding to his thread, if its not your thing or you dont like the cut of a posters jib, dont read or respond to threads that dont interest you or threads that piss you off.

Lots of threads on the bb can fall into this catagory ( politics, off topic stuff etc ) point is we dont need to comment or put our two cents in on topics we dont like. Some on the bb will be interested in these follies and will read and respond others like me will attempt to keep our yaps shut and hope that thread dies a quick death, different strokes for different folks.

Speaking of engine conversions, bring a trailer has an unfinished gtv with monty v8 for sale still not for me but interesting for some at least its all alfa.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
I think that folks are taking these things too personally. If someone wants to "ruin" a car let 'em. I'm sure that there are a lot of hot rodders out there that are piised at this guy....
I think that it's the coolest one out there 'cause it has a Montreal engine in it:D

Most things in life are a two way street. It's this "I hate you because you are doing or saying something that I don't like so I'm going to kill you" mentality that gives us problems in life. Why don't we have a thread on religious conversions?? We could really get some people pissed off and maybe even get another inquisition rolling....Like we don't have one already in the works.

Paul

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I agree with Paul. Lighten up! Alfa engines have been used in non Alfa cars for many years. Brabham used a flat 12 Alfa in there F1 cars for years. I've seen a Montreal engine in a cooper racer once. Fiat Topolinos have been used for years as hot rods. Cars are put on this earth to put a smile on our faces. In whatever shape they come. For me its a '79 Alfetta GTV.

Regards,

Ruben

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Thanks Ruben.
I say the we start an Alfetta is the best Alfa thread......

paul

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I vote for more dialogue less censorship. Unless the poster is somehow racist or really crude, let's try and avoid cutting off discussions by deletion. The poster who started the thread in question is annoying -- to say the least -- but either hit the ignore button or respond with cogent opposing responses. Once we go down the "eliminate the thread" road, the judgment calls can get troubling. IMO.

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Bad Thread Needs Deleting

I'll state up front I have not read the offending thread, only the comments herewith. Having said that, neither Pat nor I have ever been purists as far as Alfa is concerned. They are cars to be enjoyed and used, not trailer queens. Experimentation and implementation to make something work, especially, with the older cars where parts are non-existent, to get more horsepower, or to make something better is the spirit of invention and patents. But yes, there is a line where it is no longer an Alfa; however, I do not believe it is mine nor anyone else's responsibility to tell or preach to any individual how they should spend their money or what they should do to or with their Alfa. Yes, I understand the likelihood that some good Alfas will be ruined. On the counter side, there are those who are taking destroyed Alfas and making them right; I'm not attempting to indicate there is an equal equation involved in this process. They're plenty of other Alfisti who will take them to task.

As for the bb, there are so many off-topic threads that are not Alfa related, which are pretty clearly indicated, based on this thread it appears that the offending thread has some Alfa content. When censorship begins with how much Alfa content a thread has to contain to qualify, that is entering the slippery slope to not only posters refraining from writing based on fear of being ostracized or censored but it will also affect the ability of the board to survive and directly affect Simon and what he has put so much into for the Alfa community.

To me this is not any different than buying a car, buyer beware. You, as an individual, must decide if the advise is wise, useful, or correct; you as an individual make the decision on which threads you choose to read and for what reason.

Censorship, imo, should be reserved for those truly "offensive" threads which have been removed previously for over-the-line abuse of societal standards where the long-arm of the law is clearly being tested and could subject the bb, Simon, and its population to both legal action and possibly the viewing of illegal offensive material.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheryl,

The thread about the GTV is fine with all the BB posters on all the issues about alfas. It's the direct and very personal insults Van sends to people who don't stroke his ego that is objectionable.

The thread starts with "I'm putting a japanese engine in one of your crappy alfas". And then gets bad. Nobody in the thread had anything bad to say beyond the expected "we disagree with your attitude, not your fabrication".

It's that turn to personal insults that lead me to start this. You should read it before saying it is OK. We have plenty of disagreements here, but it's always been 'gentlemanly'. This is just an internet jerk with nothing to contribute to an Alfa BB looking for a fight.

Robert

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
I think some folks are blending Pete and Robert's concerns which is confusing the issue. Two different concerns for those who haven't read this full thread or Van's thread. I agree with Robert in that Van clearly needs an attitude adjustment. I don't mind the dropping in the Nissan engine and turbo. Mod away and I find it interesting. But he is clearly full of ...... when it comes to commenting on Alfa engines and likely has little to no knowledge of an Alfa motor. I sincerely doubt he has ever had one apart based on some of his comments. Obviously going down the 135mph road when he claims to sell his modded cars at "Berret Jackson". I don't care for those who like to show up and p*ss in the sand box that most of us really enjoy.

I will say that Van is receiving his far share of heat. And rightly so. His first post was how he was replacing the crappy Alfa engine with his Nissan engine. He should clue in and understand that his comments out of the box about Alfas being crap engined etc, on an Alfa board is kin to walking up to your neighbor proudly sporting their shiny new something and telling them its a POS and they paid way to much for that POS. I say if Van cannot pull his head out then yeah...ban his arse.

Best Regards,
John M

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Robert,

My apologies....I did state up front that I had not read the thread and don't plan on going back and reading it, based on the additional information you have provided. I did not say that the thread was "O.K." as you indicated. I simply offered my opinion based on what I read here and as an overall broad generalized concept about censorship, its application, and its affect on this bb, its owner, and the participating community.

Providing the additional information provided gives an accurate portrayal of the thread, what I envision developing is another Bizzarrini thread. If that is the picture I was to see based on the wording, I would simply use the triangle at the top of the offending post(s) and report it/them to Simon with the appropriate comments if it's not evident why the post(s) is/are being reported. In that way he may be able to preserve any integrity available in the thread that has Alfa content.

We all stir pots at times for various reasons, and while I've tried to be neutral and quell some waves, when I'm personally attacked and have my buttons pushed by people that know exactly what they're doing, I will not refrain from responding in kind. It's a two way street, and apparently there are some who ignore or do not recognize that and, normally in these cases, there is middle ground available to be found if it is actively pursued by opposing parties and a solution or resolution can be found.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I've read the thread and in my eyes it's the Alfa die-hards that come off as being abusive, intolerant and hostile. Also, in my view it's them who throw the first stone.

I'm from Denmark and therefore have a somewhat different background and approach to the written media than you, so therefore I percieve things differently. This is inevitable on a on-line forum, live with it. Go meet each other in person and talk it out, you are probably a lot more alike than you think.

There is a lot of pretty nasty name calling in the thread, but it isn't the original poster who is the author everytime, far from it.

Chillax guys, it's just a car.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you just read it, you missed all the fun. The author (and maybe the moderator) has edited out his nastiness, and now whines that he's the being wrongly abused. It's a common lurker ploy.

Its a waste of time.

R

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Hot rod Alfa

I didn't read the part about the crappy Alfa. I thought the complaint was about using an Alfa engine in a hot rod. Sorry! Alfettas are great though!

Ruben

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
At least the heat got Van to delete his most offending words. [notice all the edits in the thread]. It is disingenuous for him to claim innocence after the fact, but such is the nature of trolls. As a car thread, its now just boring.

Robert

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Personally I'm against censorship in any form. I had assumed that a "forum" offered people a venue to express whatever opinions they might have. I'm often mildly irritated when words and/or entire postings are deleted by whoever has 'ordained' him/herself to be the arbiter of what We can or cannot read or write.

If so-and-so thinks Alfas are "junk" fine, I think he's a nit-wit but so what? I think that most of Us are adults & can deal w/the opinions or insults that are occasionally 'voiced' in these threads! Censoring(IMO) is not the answer. If you come upon a thread that insults or offends your own mindset or sense of fairness: either deal w/it, ignore it, respond to it, or move on! It has been my experience, through-out my 65 years, that when you come up against someone who's values or opinions are polar-opposites to yours neither of 'you' are going to change the 'others' mind!

Regards.

·
Registered
11,654 Posts
I agree with Paul. Lighten up! Alfa engines have been used in non Alfa cars for many years. Brabham used a flat 12 Alfa in there F1 cars for years. I've seen a Montreal engine in a cooper racer once. Fiat Topolinos have been used for years as hot rods. Cars are put on this earth to put a smile on our faces. In whatever shape they come. For me its a '79 Alfetta GTV.

Regards,

Ruben
I didn't want to reply or add further to this thread but since you appear to have my post backwards I feel I need to:

My problem is with people buying Alfa Romeo road cars with the sole intension (ie. before purchase) of replacing the engine with another marque, because they believe BEFORE purchase that Alfa Romeo cannot design engines. This is insulting to Alfa Romeo as I believe the engine is the soul of a car. If Nissan, Honda, BMW, etc. engines make you grin, then please buy one of those cars, and enjoy them to the fillest.

Now some general comments:

Alfa Romeo are not about pretty cars, they are about soul ... if you don't get that then Alfa Romeos are not for you. Fair enough.

BTW: Brabham designed that car 100% to use the Autodelta Alfa flat 12 ... ie. Alfa Romeo via Autodelta were the engine suppliers. No hacking after the event here.

We have to remember that the Alfa Nord engine is a very old engine, heck the whole car is ... and if you don't like it or believe a more modern engine is better, great! ... you are NOT an old car person, accept that and move on, because nearly all old car people think the engine is wonderful for its time (and that is the point that old car people understand!).

Hot rod [email protected] like GM/Holden, Ford (but not Lotus or early Cosworth ones) or other mass produced cars ...
alfahaka said:
It is very simple - don't feed the trolls...
We are not only talking about offending posts but a relatively rare car is being destroyed in the process. I've been an Alfa Romeo enthusiast for like 30 years ... it's very upsetting to witness, and more importantly sit back and watch so many so called Alfisti support and encourage this destruction!

Pete

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
How about a show of hands: Any SNO directors commenting about the bad? Just wondering out loud.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts