Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this on the Sedan board...but it's the same steering box so maybe someone here will know...

On my '67 Giulia Super with a ZF steering box, the steering feels just fine every morning. Sharp turn-in, no play etc.

Then, in the evening, when it's warmer and I have to drive uphill for 10 miles (and so everything gets pretty hot), the steering just goes away...basically there's a lot more play right at the center of the steering, which makes the car quite hard to drive up a twisty hill (Hwy17 for the Bay Area residents). It's pretty disconcerting, and when I get home I can move the steering wheel and look at the front wheel and there does seem to be a lot of extra play - this has vanished by the time of the next drive.

I got some advice on steering box play adjustment - tighten screw until very slight resistance is felt at the center of the steering. I did this, noticeably stiffer steering at parking speeds, but no problem above 10mph...but that evening the play returned.

I wasn't sure what oil to use in the box so I used the same Spirax I use in the transmission.

All steering ball-joints and linkages and all other suspension bushings are brand new. When it's cold, the car handles like a dream

any ideas?

Thanks,
-Richard
Scotts Valley, CA.
'67 GTV
'67 Giulia Super

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
I'd love to hear the answer too, this is very WTH???

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
moving to suspension board

Looks like I finally stumped everyone - I'll re-post the thread in the suspension forum, see if anyone there knows. see you there,

-Richard

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
I'll take a stab at it. Maybe the oil is thinning out as it gets hot. That's a stretch, however. Need to narrow down exactly where the excess play is. Even if thinning out, the box shouldn't go loose. Any leaks, that might indicate a crack in the steering box casing? Can you see any cracks in the body sheet metal where the steering box bolts to the body?

With the car cold, have someone gently move the steering wheel a small amount from side-to-side while you look and feel the steering drop arm. Does it feel like there's lost motion or that the rocker shaft bushing is badly worn, allowing the shaft to move laterally instead of only rotating? Check the same after drive when the box is heated from the engine and see if you can feel any difference. The standard 90w oil should be correct.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts