Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Bad headlight stalk switch

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Pascalg 
#1 ·
We have a bad headlight stalk switch on our 81. Stalk is loose, activates the parking lights fine but then doesn’t turn on the low beams.

Is there a miracle trick to fix it without pulling the whole assembly? Would be too easy...

Seems like a hard to find part... and expensive.

I ve been thinking about using a rocket switch on the dash for the time being, I have a empty slot.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram to ID the wires going to the switch and is there already a relay for the headlight circuit or would i need one to limit amp on the new switch?

#3 ·
Looks like from the signature its an 81 GTV6. I would suggest reaching out to the WANTED section of the classifieds. Someone might have one to sell if they can get the steering wheel off.
I have found there isn't a good solution to fixing the light switch without replacing it with another. I was lucky enough to find a good working one via the alfabb. Either way, you'll have to take off the wheel, its what I had to do with a 76 Alfetta.

www.okp.de in germany has the new light switches for GTV6. only 229 Euros plus shipping. Just saying.
https://www.okp.de/xtc2/GTV/6/40-Electrical-system/Switches/Column-switch-GTV4-GTV6::17113.html

#4 ·
Contact Alfa Parts Exchange in California, 209-365-1383. Talk to Larry. I got a good replacement switch through them about three years back. No, there is no magic fix when these contacts and switch detents wear out, but there is a BB member who was rebuilding/reclaiming them for some time. (Ed... was that you by chance??)
Anyway the GTV 6 did not come equipped with headlight relays, but there are kits available for 4 headlamp systems. Relays are the answer to get the best lighting performance and to extend the life of the switch. There's a ton of discussion on the BB here on this topic... the easy way to search is via Google. And pulling the steering wheel is no big deal, with a small puller. Remove the clamshell steering column shroud, also, to gain access to the retainer screws and wiring connectors. It's not a terrible job at all. Spray the internal contact shoes and mechanism with electronics contact cleaner, let dry, then apply small dabs of dielectric grease to the brass contacts with a toothpick.

PS-- I suggest you forget the rocker switch idea... you'll spin your wheels longer trying that than if you just replace the stock switch and simply plug in the wire leads again. It will work fine, especially with a relay kit for the lo/hi beams.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.