Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Simple question: Do the backup lights only come on when the car is running and shifted into reverse, or if the key is turned and put into reverse? What fuse? '74 GTV

Had a headliner put in and now no interior lights or backups.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
Reverse lights - fuse #6. Ignition must be on and trans in reverse.
Interior lights - fuse #1.

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
My car's reversing light only comes on when the sidelights are on. After all, its only a light for seeing the road behind you at night, not for warning others that you're backing up, right?! :D

·
Super Moderator
10,171 Posts
Alex:

I'd answer your question "wrong" - the backup light is too dim to illuminate much of anything, unless you are really out in the wilderness. The tail and brake lights shed more light. In my opinion, the backup light warns people that you are about to go backwards, and perhaps can't see them - an important signal day or night.

·
16,232 Posts
My car's reversing light only comes on when the sidelights are on.
For many models in many markets for many years, this is true. However, thanks to US regs, the reverse lights on the 72-74 US version 2000 GTVs are wired through the ignition switch.

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
With all 105 series Alfas, the reverse light is powered off the parking/ headlight circuit. Obviously, this is easy to change if you want a reverse light in the daytime. I can't remember when Alfa stopped doing this. It may have been the with the 115 series cars, but more likely it was the late '70s. (edit) You are too fast, Jim!

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
Alfajay said:
I'd answer your question "wrong" - the backup light is too dim to illuminate much of anything, unless you are really out in the wilderness.
I think that PIAA list a low-watt-high-output halogen bulb for the reversing light unit, and it's a little upgrade I've been meaning to do for ages ...

Incidentally, is there a diagram anywhere which shows how to wire the reverse light from the ignition switch?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tell you guys, I was floored when I realized that the lights have to be on for the backup lights to function. For some strange Anglo reason, I thought they came on as a warning anytime you threw it into reverse. Anyway, my problem was one of the socket internals coming apart. I have taped and soldered them for now, but can the internal connector and lead be purchased somewhere?

Thanks

·
16,232 Posts
...I thought they came on as a warning anytime you threw it into reverse.
According to the US version wiring diagrams, that's exactly how they should work. :rolleyes:

Alex,
After looking at the 10502 diagram, the modification can't be done only at the fusebox. :( You would need to disconnect the white wire at the reverse light switch, insulate the body harness wire as it's connected to the parking light circuit and then run a jumper wire from the reverse light switch white wire to fuse #1 in the fusebox.

·
Registered
157 Posts
...and then, buy one of those bulbs that beeps a warning signal so others actually know you're reversing. Ok, so you'll sound like a delivery truck, but on my '67 GTV the reversing light is below the bumper and no-one even notices it in the daytime, so the beeper helps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts