Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son has my 164S at college. He was stopped by a cop because his backup lights were on while going forward. The clutch was replaced fairly recently, and I would expect that it is related to something hooked up incorrectly or not at all.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Greg

·
Registered
381 Posts
My GTV had the same issue. The wiring harness in my car passes near the exhaust system and over time the two wires melted together, while the harness looked normal.

I was quite jubilant to make the repair, as compared to replacing a failed switch. I'm aware that your 164S is different than my GTV, but I wanted to share my back up light story with others. Good luck in tracking down the cause of your problem.

-Doug

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. The first Alfa I had was a '72 GTV purchased new by my father. I wish I still had that one.

·
Premium Member
27,453 Posts
Since it is an S model you might want to verify that somebody didn't hook Back Up (B/U) light connector to Controlled Damping Suspension (CDS) 1/2 gear switch on tranny instead of on R/5 gear B/U switch.

Try disconnecting/swapping connectors and see if that is the problem. The switches are side by side on S. B/U light one is closest to front of car/slave cylinder.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Here is a picture of the two switches Steve mentions, as viewed from the driver's wheel well. The front black switch is the back-up light switch, the gray rear switch is for the CDS. It looks like I had already removed plug to reverse light switch in this picture, but the gray CDS switch appears to have a white & white/black stripe wire to it.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts