Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi chaps,
When multi-backspacing (holding the backspace key down, which I do plenty of), the cursor used to jump to deleting whole words after deleting the first dozen or so individual characters. It now does not.
Deletion speed slows to the same ‘delete whole word‘ rate as other applications, but continues deleting single characters only.
I've checked other applications and this still occurs OK, for example, with Outlook and Notes , so I suspect it’s a programming issue here.
A minor annoyance perhaps....but a reportable glitch nonetheles, yes?

·
Administrator
3,807 Posts
Morning Ranz

I've just checked my system, both the BB & a Word document and mine still deletes letters then whole words depending on how long the backspace key is held down - delete speed looks normal to me

I suspect it's a setting on your side ??

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe...but I’ve not changed settings, so I don’t really see how this one one application operates this way, and others are as before.

However, if you’re not experiencing it, I’ll put up and shut up.
Thanks for investigating.

cheers.

·
Administrator
12,562 Posts
Did you by any chance do a Windows update? They can change settings
Pete

·
Super Moderator
10,599 Posts
I've just checked my system, both the BB & a Word document and mine still deletes letters then whole words depending on how long the backspace key is held down - delete speed looks normal to me I suspect it's a setting on your side ??
Agree with Greig. I'm no wizard on this stuff, but suspect that the XenForo software isn't playing any role while you are typing responses to the BB; that's handled purely by your browser. XenForo only gets involved after you hit "Preview" or "Post reply". If XenForo needed to process every keystroke (such as backspace), there would be a noticeable lag between hitting a key and seeing the new characters displayed on your screen.

·
Registered
9,409 Posts
I [snip] suspect that the XenForo software isn't playing any role while you are typing responses to the BB; that's handled purely by your browser.
The code snippet copied below (from the page source code) shows that the XenForo software provides a compiled version of a Rich Text Editor when the page loads.

Code:
script src="/js/xf/editor-compiled.js?_v=07935b30"
Opening the link to the editor shows it is the Froala WYSIWYG JavaScript Editor (currently version v2.9.4). This editor not only controls how the characters appear (and probably what happens with back-spacing), but it interacts also with the icons below the text box that allow to create bullet lists and embed pictures or URIs, etc, in the text.

How the JavaScript editor performs (at run-time, on the end user device) depends on a number of things that are not under user or admin control:
  • The hardware capabilities (CPU speed, amount of memory, etc) of the device being used for accessing the BB.
  • What other software is running and/or using resources on the device (including antivirus software that continually checks what's being transmitted dynamically back and forth between the browser and the web server).
  • What OS and or patch level is being used and how this affects device performance.
  • The browser type and version and patch level, etc.
  • Whether or not an ad blocker is running and how it responds to ads being delivered at that moment in time.
  • How many tabs (pages) are open in the browser at any given time (and drain CPU, memory, and bandwidth resources in the background).
So, I would say the it is quite possible that patches and/or incremental upgrades to the XenForo software and/or on the user device and/or what other apps the user device is running are the cause of the changed behavior.

I would suggest that @Ranz tries to access AlfaBB on a freshly booted system (possibly booting into safe mode, if such an option is available) with the browser being the only app running (and having only one browser window/tab open) -- and then sees if the behavior changes.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, logged in on different device....different behaviour again, so I suspect it’s not about you, it’s about me.
I’d put my IT guy on it, but he’s outside chasing a cat.
Thanks for taking the time, I’ll play further.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts