Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cannot get my 1978 fuel injected spider to idle at all. I followed Wes' instructions for setting the 19mm gap, made sure the throttle bodies were closed, checked timing and still cannot get the thing to idle. The car also backfires when slowing down. The de-cel switch does not have a wire going to it so I know it isn't working. Can anyone tell me how to wire the de-cel switch so I can see if it works. I am open to any and all suggestions to get this thing working correctly. Thanks for any suggestions or recommendations!!

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
It's .019 inch gap (19 thousanths), not 19mm. No wonder it won't idle!

The wires are soldered to each terminal on the microswitch. Since the wires are missing, my guess is the microswitch is probably broken anyway. To replace the microswitch or solder the wires, you need to remove the injection pump and do it on the bench. If the system is tuned correctly, the microswitch is not necessary and backfiring shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
backfiring no idle

Thanks for answering. I really meant the wire from the de-cel is missing from the round cylinder on top of the pump. I did gap it at 19 thou not mm, my mistake. Why won't it idle at all?

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
My carburator 1750 had same problem, reset the point gab to 0,4 mm, book says 0,0138-0,0157". Solved the problem after some ajusting of carbs it idles nicely.
Erik

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
backfiring and idle

Thanks Eric, I am checking everything again for the 10th time. I just about stopped the backfiring but still no idle. I will try that point gap.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Have the idle stop and full-throttle stop screws been changed?

If not,

1. Check pump gap at .019" or less with engine hot and long rod DISCONNECTED.
2. With short rod and long rods disconnected from the relay crank, check that the throttle butterflies are sync'd between the forward throttle bodies and aft bodies. You should be able to fully close the butterflies manually.
3. With the relay crank on the idle stop, connect the short rod and adjust the length so that the throttle butterflies are "just" closed. All idle air should come through the idle air tubes, not through the butterflies.
4. Reconnect the long rod and readjust so that the pump gap is .019"

If the wire is missing from the FCS, look under the car and see if you've got a hanging loose wire. If not the wire may be broken off at the microswitch. See previous post.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks John, I have gotten the backfire out by readjusting the 19 thou gap and the short rod for the throttle bodies. I will recheck for both sets of throttle bodies are really close in sync. Could the dist also be a cause for poor idle? I am checking everything again in the proper sync. Thanks again!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts