Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went to start my 83 Spider and it backfired then wouldn't run anymore...

It will barely start, but won't rev, and idles very poorly. Checked fuel pumps and they are working although I haven't checked pressure at the rail. The next thing to check is cylinder compression, as I am wondering if a valve spring could have broke. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Dan

·
Administrator
17,509 Posts
Make sure the intake ducts or plenum hoses have not been blown loose or cracked/split. This is common with a back fire into the plenum and causes a large 'false air' leak. False air is any air that enters the engine but is not measured by the Air Flow Meter.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should know this, I have already replaced all vacuum lines and did a leak check when troubleshooting after I bought her. Thanks for reminding me, I'll take a look. Simple things first...

Dan

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Turns out Eric was correct! The manifold rubber coupler was split in several places. Replaced that, and she fired right up! I believe the next thing I need to do is replace power brake booster, as the car hisses like a snake when I stop. Does this sound like the correct diagnostic?

Dan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts