Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the interesting thing is how you remember the little stuff, the smell of the car, double declutching from 3rd to 2nd even after a 14 year absence with alfas.

This particular car has a milano 2.5l engine in it and it runs well. it has been taken care off and will be a weekend driver

i'll be participating in the mid-atlantic forum and club in the coming months, hope tomeet some of you all there.

Nick

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Q.V.,There are some great GTV6's out there for very reasonable prices. I recommend getting one soon, good examples will be very rare soon.
They are an Amazing car to drive, and pretty easy to maintain.

·
Registered
502 Posts
oops...:eek: Does it need asking for a new ad to be posted? Sure, nobody would post if I didn't :D

BTW, that's my ex:

... nothing to do with V6, but... :)
Miss it. Got a Spider, a lot of fun included, but it isn't that easy to handle. Alfetta is much more friendly

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I live in the woodbridge/NoVA area and will try to participate in the Mid Atl and DC stuff.
I have owned (like many of us) quite a few of these cars. 79 Alfetta, 81 GTV6, 84GTV6, 74 GTV and now this 86 GTV6 after a few years.

·
Premium Member
1991 164L
27,571 Posts
Welcome, hook up with either or or both the AROC Capital Chapter and/or our MAARC Chapter. see us here Mid-Atlantic Alfa Romeo Club and them via nathional web sire here http://www.aroc-usa.org/ or they web site here: http://www.alfaromeonews.com/

I have sold both my 86 and 85 GTV6's and salvaged an 83 for engine for the 85 and had already put 85's engine in the 86 after it dropped a intake valve guide in 5th gear at about 80 mph on interstate I-64 north of Williamsburg some years back.

As you can see now I do only 164's but still with that sweet V6 12v engine in 3.0L trim.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
the interesting thing is how you remember the little stuff, the smell of the car, double declutching from 3rd to 2nd even after a 14 year absence with alfas.

This particular car has a milano 2.5l engine in it and it runs well. it has been taken care off and will be a weekend driver

i'll be participating in the mid-atlantic forum and club in the coming months, hope tomeet some of you all there.

Nick
That's a really nice car. The GTV6 is still my very favorite car to drive. Are you sure it's a Milano engine. It's hard to tell because the 1986 GTV6 came with a 2.5 essentially identical to the Milano 2.5. It has the same throttle body, crank pulley, etc. In fact if there is a difference, I don't know what it is.

Greg,
Silicone Hose Kits
OKINJECTORS.COM

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Greg,
Pretty sure it is a milano 2.5. the engine code, valve /intake plenum are all milano vintage
It runs pretty well. although if my butt dyno/memory serves me well, my '85 from many years ago was a slightly stronger car.
Things to do immediately are - diagnose a loose connection in the steering column harness that stops all power in the car - happened satuday - as soon as the cooling fans came on, everything quit. no power to anything. I pulled on a cable bundle between the column and fusebox and got power back and procedeed into the garage under the mocking gaze of my wife!

second, there seems to be a brake fluid leak at the 'T' junction on the transaxle that slite to the two hardlines for the rear calipers.

third (a winter poject - maybe) re wiring/harnessing the engine compartment with teflon wire and experiment with a replacement for the l-jetronic with a map sensor based system.

fourth - replace the transaxle with a platinum lsd trans

Should keep me out of trouble for a while :-0

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
The valve covers and intake plenums are the same between the 86 GTV6 and Milano 2.5s. I am not sure about how to verify it with engine codes.

That loose connection may be in the grounding wires to the left of the fuse box. Just about everything in the car grounds there. It's pretty easy to spot, a whole bunch of black wires going to the same bolt.

Going to a map (manifold air pressure) based system is a good upgrade. If for no other reason than the ever increasing price and scarcity of L-Jet parts. I like SDS (I am an SDS dealer, but that's because that's the system I like).

The 1985 is slightly faster, it's actually the fastest year, although they are all pretty darn close.

Greg

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Greg,

I thought the Valve covers on the GTV 6 were smooth with alfa romeo in script and the milano had alfa romeo in block letters , also the plenum on the milano had 6C on it. but I could be wrong.

I'd love to talk to you about the SDS system. if you can point me to the info, i would really appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
1991 164L
27,571 Posts
The 86 GTV6 has same ribbed and scripted valve covers and intake as the Milano has.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
My 1983 model GTV6 had the rounder shape with the script on the valve covers. My '86s have the block letters with stripes. My '84 has a 3.0 Verde, so that's no help.

From that, I'd guess the script came on the earlier models, and they swapped the design in later years.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts