Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone!

Its been a while since I last been involved with Alfas (I ended up buying a right-hand-drive Austin 1300 GT that was originally sold in New Zealand, and for sale by a local Mini enthusiast...unfortunately, it needed some work and I ended up selling it, now I have a Ford Fiesta).

Within the next five years, I'm planning to get back into the Alfa community, and when I have enough saved up I'd like to buy that Giulia sedan I promised myself. I've also considered the Lancia Flavia coupe, and the Autobianchi A112 Abarth.

My question is, I'm planning to buy a car from Italy (I've been going over their auto traders and there are plenty of nice cars for decent prices), and importing it to California (I'm in Los Angeles).

Is it still possible to get a pre-1975 classic into CA (and the rest of the USA, for that matter)? How does one go about importing a classic? I'd hate to buy a nice Giulia or Flavia only to have it impounded and crushed upon arrival.

Thanks for all of your help!

Cody :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
I've had a very informative conversation with Helmut Boeck with Ted L. Rausch, a Customs Broker here in California. He's in Burlingame but they have an office in Long Beach.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent! I'm still confused about the emissions laws (CA says cars 1975 and older are exempt, yet the Federal law says cars 1968 and newer need to meet our laws, i.e. probably PCV valves and crankcase rerouting and the usual 60's emissions equipment), but I'm still willing to give it a shot.
I'll contact the W&W office here in Long Beach, I've even thought pursuing a career with them...in case I decide to import a classic or two every now and then ;)

·
Premium Member
21,688 Posts
See my note on Giulia Wanted thread, a friend of a friend just brought in a few Giulias from Italy, and as a dealer, apparently he's going to handle all the admin stuff, and the cars will have Calif plates, title, etc. I read the DMV memo on this last week and I don't see how one readily does it now in Calif without running afoul of some legal requirement, at least as an individual.

Andrew

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Andrew!

Will do, I might see if I can acquire a car from him. It is a tough call for me to make, but I've thought about even selling my Triumph Spitfire to fund an Alfa. But the Spitfire has been my first classic and I've had many good memories with it, including meeting many of my car club friends, so it is hard to decide. But I really would like a Giulia, too...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Speaking of your friend, are there any classic car (or any car, for that matter) importers on the West Coast? I found two on the East Coast so far (one imports classic British cars and the other specializes in classic Citroens), but it would be more convenient to ship right here to the L.A. ports or Port Hueneme.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts