Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After spending the better part of 2 years Alfaless, I made a deal this morning for a 1959 Giulietta Spider.

It is very good condition, with minor things needing attention. A little TLC and some elbow grease should go a long way.

There a few items wrong or missing but nothing major.

Please feel free to comment as to incorrect items or things needing attention.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Beautiful, I really love this model Spider (101/750).
I wish we'd had them here in Australia, I'd have one in a heartbeat.

Will have to import one at some stage before they get too pricey.

·
Premium Member
22,391 Posts
I like white, and the combo of SWB body and the Altissimo rear lights, which I like better than Lucas.
Appears to be a Giulia steering wheel, not a bad thing at all. Also, has a blanking plate over the 750 fuel pump fitting, so must have an electric pump? I wonder if it's original or was modified along the way. I've heard anecdotally that some late 750 Normales came with Veloce pumps.
You have chassis and engine numbers for us anoraks?
Andrew

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like white, and the combo of SWB body and the Altissimo rear lights, which I like better than Lucas.
Appears to be a Giulia steering wheel, not a bad thing at all. Also, has a blanking plate over the 750 fuel pump fitting, so must have an electric pump? I wonder if it's original or was modified along the way. I've heard anecdotally that some late 750 Normales came with Veloce pumps.
You have chassis and engine numbers for us anoraks?
Andrew
Thanks Andrew,

Yes, later steering wheel (which I am OK with), and yes, no mechanical fuel pump. My car is 1495*07200, 13 numbers from the end of the 750D production, so this fits in nicely with the anecdote...though a fact would be nicer:001_smile:

Engine number is 1315*45837 and is a matching engine according to Marco Fazio

I have a question as to the washer bottle (vs VDO bag), it looks very correct though most (or all) I've seen come with the bag.

Missing a few knobs and the license plate holder, but other that that all seems to be there.

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
Henry

Do you live in a region where you can drive your cars all year 'round?

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes Bob, it might be a bit chilly with the top down in winter, but no snow and mild temperatures.

·
Administrator
4,043 Posts
Very nice Spider Henry, well done !!

Weber carb, dash top & nosing should be crackle black, I suspect the center portion of the rear bumper portion is upside down as the rear plate is hanging below the bumper.

Washer bottle is Sprint, it should have a bag. Giulia steering wheel, missing rubber mats on the A pillars. Oil pipe routing is a bit agricultural...

Tail light lenses are for a Series 1 Ti - same shape, but the white & amber portions are swapped over as the Ti used the bases in an inverted position.

Usual service items have been changed - hose clamps, plug leads, coil. I suspect that this car would have had the earlier blue brake reservoir decal.

Nothing to stop you from enjoying a really nice little car and just enough fettling to do to keep you from getting bored......

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Greig,

Always good to hear of improvement opportunities.

The bumper is right side up, but the PO likes the plate under the bumper and removed the bracket.

I will post specific questions as I get more involved with the car. Definitely a car to be enjoyed while being improved.

·
Administrator
13,632 Posts
I find it interesting that the fuel line runs above the coil like that ... I think! ... shudder :eek:

Nice car though, very nice.
Pete

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
Nice car...change the oil and inspect the brake cylinders and drive it. It looks very presentable. Uncle... PS you have way too many cars to keep them all happy, unless you are Jay Leno.. What happened to the Espada or is that just an update to your profile missing? Congratulations on a fine purchase!

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice car...change the oil and inspect the brake cylinders and drive it. It looks very presentable. Uncle... PS you have way too many cars to keep them all happy, unless you are Jay Leno.. What happened to the Espada or is that just an update to your profile missing? Congratulations on a fine purchase!
The brakes are in dire need of servicing which will happen tomorrow hopefully.

Yes, too many cars, so that's why the Espada and the Flaminia are gone, I definitely can't keep them all. Flaminia went to the UK and the the Espada a block away...

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
The brakes are in dire need of servicing which will happen tomorrow hopefully.

Yes, too many cars, so that's why the Espada and the Flaminia are gone, I definitely can't keep them all. Flaminia went to the UK and the the Espada a block away...
Ahhh, very wise move, dumping projects (all old cars are projects regardless of the state they are in on any given day) and those two can cause mega-heartburn. I think your priorities are more in line with enjoying cars without a pick-up truck of cash in tow.

The Giulietta brakes are quite simple.. honing the cylinders and rebuilding can be a little dodgy as alloy cylinders are really not conducive to the process in an ideal world albeit I have done it by cleaning with 000 steel wool or finer wet with brake fluid on a drill motor will extend the service life with new seals but not as long as the original. If the linings got wet, they will have to be changed. Don't turn the drums under any circumstances. You've been around long enough to know this group is ready to help in anyway. I find keeping posts specific to one specific subject like "Giulietta brake linings" helps archive stuff for future searches by searching "linings' for example. Good luck! Uncle

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the tips on the brakes, we will tackle those tomorrow, if we run into trouble I'll let you guys know

·
Administrator
4,043 Posts
I've had most of my wheel cylinders and master cylinders sleeved in stainless steel - very successfully.

New rubber flexibles, new hard lines on a full restoration, flushing the existing ones with methylated spirits on a rolling restoration.

I use Bel-Ray DOT 5 silicone fluid, it's made in the USA, but our local motor cycle shop stocks it & I'm sold on it. No risk to the paintwork !!

Ciao
Greig

·
Premium Member
5,170 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just to make myself hateful, I will point out that upholstery has a little mistake: 7 ribs instead of 6 :blush:

Very nice spider: enjoy it.
That one will probably stay that way, but good eyes and good point!

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've had most of my wheel cylinders and master cylinders sleeved in stainless steel - very successfully.

New rubber flexibles, new hard lines on a full restoration, flushing the existing ones with methylated spirits on a rolling restoration.

I use Bel-Ray DOT 5 silicone fluid, it's made in the USA, but our local motor cycle shop stocks it & I'm sold on it. No risk to the paintwork !!

Ciao
Greig
Thanks for the tip. I will not be installing hard lines, but flushing the current ones sounds like a good idea.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts