Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,626 Posts
I remember reading a study reported in an old SAE journal, which investigated the use of road salt in the US, and they concluded that much of this usage was pushed by the quite strong salt mine industry lobby. They also concluded that it's use didn't save many lives at all, the great majority of collisions being low speed, but did cost taxpayers a ton due to the excessive degradation of the highway infrastructure (ie, bridges, pavement, curbs, etc), the salt damage of the local environment, and of course, the quick corrosion of vehicle metal. The cost of sand use and later cleanup cost the taxpayer far less.

All across the country, older highway infrastructure is disintegrating due to the use of salt in the winter. The estimate to repair and replace the faillng bridges for instance runs into the many billions. Not that much money is being dedicated to that situation, locally and federally.

The vehicle protections are greater now, but the degradation/destruction of the highway infrastructure and environment still exist, which we eventually pay for, if the repairs are actually done. In reality, much is let go until a failure occurs (Seattle just yesterday closed one of it's most important and major city bridges (built in the 80's) due to excessive concrete cracking and steel corrosion, and several other old bridges are in desperate need of rebuilding/replacement).

·
Administrator
12,114 Posts
This post also reminds us how much modern cars have improved, even Alfas/FIATs.

My 156v6 is now 19 years old, and has had areas repainted (I assume due to the period problem with clear coats failing), but has zero rust and zero cracks in the dash and only very minor wear issues on the drivers seat. Compare that to my 1750GTV, which I bought when it was 15 years old (thereabouts) and it was totally stuffed and hadn't even reached 100k miles ...
Pete

·
Registered
1969 GTV 1750 Australia
222 Posts
When I was working in Norway, there was an innovation there to stop the use of salt. They have a massive pine growth industry there and the pine sap is a byproduct. They slightly fermented that and used it to spray the roads instead and it was brilliant. However no one explained this to the wild moose who spent all their time on the roads getting drunk from licking up the fermented sap! Major collisions between cars and moose meant a return to sand and salt.

·
Registered
151 Posts
To Ken and all others-

I may be too late for last weekend, but:

Please don't go to Berkeley C&C, or anything else. Both my boys work in local ERs, and they do NOT need more people coming in over the next few weeks. The wave is here. Don't ride it, you may wipe out, and wipe others out too.

Stay home, be patient, and stay healthy, all of us. Please.

And yeah, I grew up in the northeast. I know from rust.

The 1955 Lancia in my garage had been pushed into a barn in @ 1963. It's in pretty good shape, body-wise. But it was a fashion statement; to a degree, it was intended to be ephemeral. All the other cars my friend in Martinez had, he left out in the weather, and they went to ground.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
When Is it @bellagt Ken?
I understand it’s typically the 4th Sunday of the Month at 4th and Virginia. It was a non-event with the shelter-at-home except for essential travel, so we went to Acme Bakery to get some essential baguettes and pastries instead. The line was long due to the 6 foot distance rule, but the wait was short and the bread was great.

There‘s also a C&C at St Mary’s College in Moraga on the 2nd Sunday of the month which occurred on the 8th prior to shelter order.

All ARA, BMWCCA GGC and BMW FAQ events are canceled or postponed for the next month as afar as I can tell. Thankfully, our CA cars don’t perforate like those in the UK so we can stay safely confined within our GTVs with windows up when we do need to make that essential road trip. Stay safe and healthy.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts